warriors & warlocks
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:33 am 

is this a rare and valuable item?  I seem to recall seeing one somewhere....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 08078&rd=1

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:03 am 

I would say it is fairly rare, but it seems to sell for about $8-15 at auction.  

I myself picked up a very nice, unused one for about $10 which I have safely set aside on the bookshelf . . .  only, I plan to put it to good use someday.  I have decided that it is the perfect game to introduce my daughter to TSR and (later) RPG's.  Nice and simple with a cool fold-out gameboard.  I even think I could convince my wife to play (maybe . . . )

Just about 4 more years to go . . . then it won't be Near Mint for much longer. . .   8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:09 am 

beyondthebreach wrote: I have decided that it is the perfect game to introduce my daughter to TSR and (later) RPG's. Nice and simple with a cool fold-out gameboard. I even think I could convince my wife to play (maybe . . . )

Just about 4 more years to go . . . then it won't be Near Mint for much longer. . .  8)

thats a great idea BTB :) i have that board game called "Dungeon" which was minty when i got it, but um it certainly isnt now :) i play that with my 2 girls.....one's 14 (who plays 1E AD&D) and the other is 6....the little one thinks its great....its always good fun to wile away an hour or two of time. won't be too long now before she will start to grasp AD&D a little better. mind you, all she ever wants to do is "biff in them nasty monsters" :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:32 am 

killjoy32 wrote: ......) i have that board game called "Dungeon" which was minty when i got it, but um it certainly isnt now :) i play that with my 2 girls.....one's 14 (who plays 1E AD&D) and the other is 6....the little one thinks its great....its always good fun to wile away an hour or two of time. won't be too long now before she will start to grasp AD&D a little better. mind you, all she ever wants to do is "biff in them nasty monsters" :D

I introduced my Grandson to D&D through a PS2 game (Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance) a couple of months ago and we started playing Dungeon a few weeks ago. It is fun for both of us. I replaced the silly player markers with miniatures and that adds a little bit more realism for him than the little thingies that came with the game. He is 8 and pretty well understands what is going on. The other Grandson is only a bit over 1, so it will be a while before he is ready to mash monsters....

The granddaughter is 6 and will (hopefully) soon be playing too, but right now she is into playing with miniature plastic animals (mostly horses), dolls, and Barbi's Horse Ranch Game on the PS2. Not much interest there for me....  :roll: Although I must the Barbi Game looks like a lot of fun for her. She grins nearly the whole time she is playing that game. She has always been in love with horses though, so I am sure that has a lot to do with it. She also rides horses at her papaw's farm in the country and has been since she was less than a year old.

Anyway, Dungeon is easy to learn (It must be for me to get it) and fun for the youngun's too. I was lucky and picked one up for about $10 plus shipping.... most times I see them get up to $30 or more for complete and mint copies. The one I have is missing a few monster cards, 2 -- of those little white counters, and a couple of treasure cards, but there is still enough left for us to play the game without much trouble. I hope to get another copy of the game soon so we can have all of the cards before the Granddaughter starts playing. 8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:09 am 

Thanks guys.  I think I have a copy of W&W somwhere around here.  

That is an excellent idea!  I think I will use it and my Dungeon box to play with my daughter.  She loved (surprisingly) the Dungeon game.  The idea of using minis is one that I had not considered.  What an excellent idea!  Thanks!!

I do have a concern regarding the minis with kids.  I think it is time to start a new thread though.....

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:19 am 

For my kids (10 and 6) I'm using Cardmaster.

They love the turning of the cards and the dungeon slowly forming just before their eyes.

And they have a distinctive approach - the older loves to play a magic user, while the younger prefers a fighter.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:46 am 

OK, this thead makes me feel waaay to young to be lurking around here...

I'm only 29

:oops:

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:12 am 

i remember when i was 29! seems such a long way away when youre nearly 37 :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:14 am 

Well, I am 31 and I feel old.......... :oops:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:51 pm 

I'm 38 and feel as young as a spring chicken. Hack up a little phlegm and stretch out the scars and kinks in the morning, and' I'm ready to go! Age is all in the mind. It helps to have a 28 year old wife, though.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:02 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I'm 38 and feel as young as a spring chicken. Hack up a little phlegm and stretch out the scars and kinks in the morning, and' I'm ready to go! Age is all in the mind. It helps to have a 28 year old wife, though.

In my mind I still feel 18, but 12 years of football & baseball and 15 years of hockey all starting to catch up to me physically. :evil:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:05 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I'm 38 and feel as young as a spring chicken. Hack up a little phlegm and stretch out the scars and kinks in the morning, and' I'm ready to go! Age is all in the mind. It helps to have a 28 year old wife, though.

30 with a 23 year old wife is good also.
:D
~jeff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:15 pm 

I'll probably suprise you guys by saying that my wife is 11 years older than me.  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:18 pm 

No wife here, single w/live in girlfreind who happens to be 25. I am starting to see a trend here for the most part. :wink: She is not into the RPG scene at all though. :roll:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:19 pm 

40 here, but alive and kicking (7 years of football and martial arts in the background, ex officer of the italian mountain troops).

Seems we are definitely a bunch of Lords of the Middle Age. 8)

Ah, and no wife - resolved this kinda problem already. I don't believe in property, just fair use... LOL

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:12 pm 

40 here too.  No wife.  But girlfriend/partner of 33 (as from yesterday) about to drop a sprog in a few weeks.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:14 pm 

johnhuck wrote:about to drop a sprog in a few weeks.

And in American that means..to give birth??  8O

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:24 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
johnhuck wrote:about to drop a sprog in a few weeks.

And in American that means..to give birth?? 8O

That it does.

You might find this useful Dictionary of English slang and colloquialisms of the UK  :wink:

Next