My sordid past ....
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:14 pm 

While cleaning out the basement, my wife opened a box and held up my 'Divine Right' game.  

So far I've found the following:

* Divine Right - 2nd Edition - cards unpunched, box ends are loose.  The directions are there and, iirc, I ended up reading the directions but my friends didn't want to play, so I didn't punch out any of the cards.  

* 1984 Gencon XIV program ... great condition

* Dungeon Masters screen - Psionic Supplement

* Dungeon Masters Adventure Log - unused, great condition

* Expedition to the Barrier Peaks - S3 - the graphic supplement

* Some original  AD&D Player Character Records (on the yellow paper)

I also have

* a beat-to-hell Players Guide that I had signed by Gygax at Gencon

* a beat-to-hell 1st edition Dungeon Masters Guide

By way of background I was a charter member of the RPGA and won a Gencon East RPGA tournament and was a finalist at the Gencon RPGA.  If anybody has a publication which shows RPGA national tournament rankings from 81-82 time frame, I'd like to know.

Looking back I wish I had kept some of the pre-Polyhedron publications and the old Dragon magazines.  

I have (somewhere, hopefully in another box) a Mentzer signed pre-publication "Egg of the Phoenix" still in the white envelope which I got for  winning the Gencon tournament.  (The previous year's winner got a trip to Lake Geneva ... go figure) I also won an RPGA belt buckle which may still be around somewhere.

The question my wife asked me, after a round of "You were a Dungeons and Dragon's geek?" - we met after I'd stopped playing -  was whether this stuff had more than sentimental value.  

So ... any thoughts?  

Thanks

Todd

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:27 pm 

Former RPGA Guy wrote:I have (somewhere, hopefully in another box) a Mentzer signed pre-publication "Egg of the Phoenix" still in the white envelope which I got for winning the Gencon tournament. (The previous year's winner got a trip to Lake Geneva ... go figure) I also won an RPGA belt buckle which may still be around somewhere.

The question my wife asked me, after a round of "You were a Dungeons and Dragon's geek?" - we met after I'd stopped playing - was whether this stuff had more than sentimental value.

Greetings, Todd. :)

Well, that's a better connection back to the original event that the recent R1 pre-pub which went up on eBay. 8)

The answers is definitely yes to that... Don't be too surprised if that's high side of $1,000 (should you ever choose to sell), if everything tallies and it's still in decent nick.
also; Page Not Found

(*wonders whether it's a "standard" numbered copy, or has any form of extra inscription for winning??*)

Oh; and belated congrats, btw! :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:07 am 

Former RPGA Guy wrote:* Divine Right - 2nd Edition - cards unpunched, box ends are loose. The directions are there and, iirc, I ended up reading the directions but my friends didn't want to play, so I didn't punch out any of the cards.

You should be able to sell this for $35-60-ish, if it's complete, perhaps more if folks get really into it.  I'd certainly be interested if you decide to sell it.

* 1984 Gencon XIV program ... great condition

$8-20 for this is my estimate.  I'm probably also interested in this (I'm in San Diego for a conference for work this week, so I don't know if I have this program already or not...).

* Dungeon Masters screen - Psionic Supplement
* Dungeon Masters Adventure Log - unused, great condition
* Expedition to the Barrier Peaks - S3 - the graphic supplement
* Some original AD&D Player Character Records (on the yellow paper)

Not much for these, probably $25-30-ish total.

By way of background I was a charter member of the RPGA and won a Gencon East RPGA tournament and was a finalist at the Gencon RPGA. If anybody has a publication which shows RPGA national tournament rankings from 81-82 time frame, I'd like to know.

Weren't the rankings published in Polyhedron on and off?  Or was the the membership directory???

My first con was GenCon East II, so since you were obviously in the area, I now have to ask you the ubiquitous grodog question:  have you head of a tourney called "Treasures of the Dragon Queen"?  It wasn't run at GenCon, but at a local NJ con up at Rutgers University c. 1982.  Details on my web site at Greyhawk's Tournament History: Treasure of the Dragon Queen

I have (somewhere, hopefully in another box) a Mentzer signed pre-publication "Egg of the Phoenix" still in the white envelope which I got for winning the Gencon tournament. (The previous year's winner got a trip to Lake Geneva ... go figure)

This is worth quite a lot, and could certainly top $1000 without a problem.

I also won an RPGA belt buckle which may still be around somewhere.

These usually go for $10-25 or so, depending on condition and the bidders.

I hope that helps, and welcome aboard, Todd! :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:37 am 

*watches for the poor lad to get bombarded with PM's to sell with lots of BIN's* :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:02 am 

killjoy32 wrote:*watches for the poor lad to get bombarded with PM's to sell with lots of BIN's* :D
Well, you could count me in on the Pre-Pub R3 and the Dyastar West module listed in the Classifieds, but I wont even waste my time with the PMs, as there is no way I could compete to be able to afford it with these folks. :oops: Then again, there is no sniper software usable in a PM. :twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:07 am 

bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:*watches for the poor lad to get bombarded with PM's to sell with lots of BIN's* :D
Well, you could count me in on the Pre-Pub R3 and the Dyastar West module listed in the Classifieds, but I wont even waste my time with the PMs, as there is no way I could compete to be able to afford it with these folks. :oops: Then again, there is no sniper software usable in a PM. :twisted:

yea you n me both  :?

i would love to have these items..cant afford it right now anyways :(

gonna start my hunt for R-3 shortly! aim low and work up i say :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:06 am 

Forget the RPGA stuff, I'm much more interested in any light he can shed on TotDQ :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/