Dungeon Magazines shouldn't cost this much, right?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:18 am 

I'm looking to complete my Dungeon collection (for play, I'm not overly concerned with condition), and I can usually pick up strays on Ebay for 2.50 - 3.00 each.  However, a day or two ago, that Cougar fellow and one or two other bidders brought the prices up to 5 - 10 bucks per issue.  These were select issues between number 40 and 60, not issue one or two.  Conditions listed weren't generally near mint or anything either.  What don't I understand?  Ten bucks plus shipping for one of these issues blows my mind.  I'm pretty sure Cougar picked up the ten dollar issue and maybe some others.  How will that cat make money off of that.  I am terribly confused.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:57 am 

Milkman, before you get the wrong idea, keep in mind who it was that bid on them. That is why they went so high.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:14 am 

cradleofmilk wrote:I'm looking to complete my Dungeon collection (for play, I'm not overly concerned with condition), and I can usually pick up strays on Ebay for 2.50 - 3.00 each. However, a day or two ago, that Cougar fellow and one or two other bidders brought the prices up to 5 - 10 bucks per issue. These were select issues between number 40 and 60, not issue one or two. Conditions listed weren't generally near mint or anything either. What don't I understand? Ten bucks plus shipping for one of these issues blows my mind. I'm pretty sure Cougar picked up the ten dollar issue and maybe some others. How will that cat make money off of that. I am terribly confused.

First off, welcome to the forum. :D Well, if its any consulation to you, you are correct. Typically you don't have to pay any more than say $5.00 an issue particularly in just decent condition. Just like with anything though, every once in a while you get an auction that ends up in a bidding war that has a final total, that you just have to shake your head and say, huh? :? Typically this will happen when you get 2 people newbies to buying this particular type of item and so they don't know any better, but of course this isn't always the case. As far as everybodies favorite furry friend goes though, his bidding practices are very erratic at best. It could be a situation where he has won other items from this seller or is planning on winning other items from the seller so he can have them all shipped his preferred way of M-bag at a cheap rate. He may be figuring that he will be able to even out his costs with the other items he is planning on winning. Just smile knowing that he way overpaid for his items and that you may have to wait another week or two to get yours, but you will know that you paid a considerably lower amount for yours. :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:22 am 

Thanks for the input.  I was pretty sure that I knew some standard pricing for d&d materials.  And I've definitely read up on some of your cougar and maxwell discussions.  Good stuff.  About two or three years ago I started up on ebay (and computers in general), and figured I'd check on a d&d book or two.  Bad idea.  Here were dozens of copies of every book I'd only dreamed of owning as a little kid.  Stuff like Slavelords, Tomb of Horrors, and (even) Temple of Death (for the Truman artwork).  My grandmother hooked up my brother and me with the following for Christmas circa 1984 (I was nine, my bro was eight) :     1. players handbook - (wizard cover) I now have the earlier version with statue/gem -so much cooler.  Later in my childhood I ended up with a circular puzzle depicting the wizard - go figure.  2. dm guide (big red guy) two visions come to me when I think of AD&D:  the front cover of the dm guide and the back cover of the dm guide.  This book is the greastest rpg book I've ever seen.  Pure atmosphere and more info than you could ever use.  I would read over The Campaign (The First Dungeon Adventure) way too often over the years, hoping to create a game half as cool.  3. monster manual (first cover - never liked that cover too much, but it was much more honest than the easley to follow) - most of it was useless in games but great for inspiration, as only a few handfuls of PCs ever made it past third level in my games.  That first handful was about fourth level and got massacred in the first level of Temple of Elemental Evil during my junior high or high school years.  I think ghouls and ghasts got most of them, and the town executed the rest for coming up short on a loan payment or something (how's that for killer dming, eh?).  I've since worked on creating more evenly matched encounters, but I absolutely never fudge rolls.  My bro knows that I'm not going to save him, so he plays well.  I started up this no-fudge campaign about two years ago.  It's a module-hopper to make use of all the stuff I bought on Ebay recently.  His parties (he alternates playing two groups of six characters - video game, huh?) are up to fifth/sixth level.  4. deities (short two mythoi) - loved the Erol Otus but never found much use for this one personally.  5. Keep on the Borderlands - two of my bro's characters were poisoned/stoned by the medusa this year.  He's still fairly angry (80% at himself, 20% at me).  6. Secret of Bone Hill - great Otus, but not really my style.  I'm sure it's good stuff if in the hands of another dm.  Nice and open.  No silly plot.  7. Moldvay Basic book without box and Cook/Marsh Expert book without box.  Love it.  I'm basing my next game on a modified version of these.  Hopefully my next game won't be starting up anytime soon.  I'd like to make use of my GDQ's.  8. Dice in a pouch.  BEST GRANDMOTHER EVER!!!  I've since gone nutty on Ebay and picked up most of the non-campaign-specific/super rare Falx, Garden Path type stuff.  I've sold off the ones that I don't think I'll use.  I probably bought some of the stuff off you folks...hey, I jacked my own post.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:15 pm 

One of the best mods I ever ran Was Bone Hill. When the characters took out the creatures and wizard on the Hill, they came back to town, and Pelltar had charmed the Baron and made him imprison them (he wanted the wizard's books and loot). the Baron's daughter had fallen for one of the members with a 17 charisma, and she slipped them a key. They went to go after Pelltar, and the town was attacked by a huge wave of gnolls. the thief in the party backstabbed Pelltar while he was fighting the gnolls in the street. The charm broke, and the Baron made them Heroes of Restenford. IIRC, the 17 charisma character (cleric I believe) married the daughter.
Any module can be worked up to be interesting. the trick is not to railroad the party into doing things, unless it is absolutely necessary. Had they wanted to just skip town during the attack, I would have let them. Many a time I have dangled a carrot in front of parties and had them refuse it. I am not there to make them play MY game, I am there to give them opportunities that they can take or ignore.
I'll shut up now. Painkillers are making me ramble.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:57 pm 

I'm looking to complete my Dungeon collection (for play, I'm not overly concerned with condition), and I can usually pick up strays on Ebay for 2.50 - 3.00 each.  However, a day or two ago, that Cougar fellow and one or two other bidders brought the prices up to 5 - 10 bucks per issue.  These were select issues between number 40 and 60, not issue one or two.  Conditions listed weren't generally near mint or anything either.  What don't I understand?  Ten bucks plus shipping for one of these issues blows my mind.  I'm pretty sure Cougar picked up the ten dollar issue and maybe some others.  How will that cat make money off of that.  I am terribly confused.

You can still get some of them through Paizo.  They will cost you more but they will be essentially new.  If they are damaged they will replace them too without a hassle.

Here's the link:

paizo.com - Paizo Publishing

I always find it humorous when Dungeon #1 goes for big bucks on eBay since I think you can still get it through Paizo for $25.00.  It's about the only one available in the earlier numbers though.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:24 pm 

Thanks for the welcome, info, and a bold "furry".