Single Staple D&D Expert (Cook)
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:27 pm 

I just picked up a copy of the Expert D&D rulebook, 3rd print (1981)  on eBay, mostly for nostalgic reasons, but also conscious of the fact that the value may increase over time. The photo on eBay showed the center page open, with only a single (slightly rusted) staple at the bottom of the page, I figured the middle and top staples had come out or ripped through pages. It arrived in the mail today, and as I've inspected the book, there is no evidence that the middle and top staples were ever there. There's no indentation in the cover, no holes in the pages. It must have come from the original printer with only the one staple.

The question I have is, do the missing staples do anything to the value of the book, either increase or decrease?

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:34 pm 

Normally defects will detract from the item's value.  The worse the defect, the more it impacts the value.  Certain printing defects can raise the value, but these are usually well-documented, and are typically because the defective items were recalled, but some slipped through the cracks.

In the case of missing staples, where it's clear that the staples were never inserted, it would probably not reduce the value a whole lot.