1984 TSR Chess Set
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:58 pm 

I am curious about the current value of the 1984 TSR chess sets.  I realize this is a difficult item to appraise since only 30 were produced and they don't come on the market very often.  

I won this item in 2007 in an auction on Ebay for $990.  Unfortunately, I no longer have information about the provenance of the item prior to it coming into my possession.  I believe the last time an item of this type was discussed here was in 2010.

The pewter(?) playing pieces show no signs of damage.  The velvet lining that holds the playing pieces is worn in some places.  The case shows some chipping of paint, particularly on the underside edges of the playing board. There is also a small gouge on the bottom of the case.  One of the four rubber pads that I believe were originally on the four corners of the bottom of the case is missing.

The item has been kept in a smoke free environment since I purchased it 15 years ago.  I don't detect any scent of smoke but the inside of the case has a subtle plastic aroma.

I'm happy to post additional pictures if that would be helpful.

Attachment:
TSR_Chess_1984-Outside_Top.jpg

Attachment:
TSR_Chess_1984-Inside_Bottom.jpg

Attachment:
TSR_Chess_1984-Inside_Top.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“The older I grow, the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom.”
― H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:32 pm 

One recently sold for almost $4k on eBay.  Similar condition

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:41 pm 

Welcome back, NetRodent!  It has been a long time. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:18 am 

Thanks smarmy1!  I've peeked in here from time to time over the years but have tried to stay away.  When I originally joined here I was simply looking for information on a few basic D&D or AD&D items I remembered wanting as a kid.  However I soon learned about wonderous items I never knew existed or had always assumed were near mythical and out of my reach.  My goal changed from recapturing childhood to becoming "complete".  I started to notice my definition of complete morphed from O/A/D&D, to anything by TSR, to anything even tangentially related to O/A/D&D and I was items I didn't really want but felt compelled to have.  Eventually I realized I had a collecting problem and quit cold turkey.  The D&D/AD&D core of my collection still gives me great satisfaction and I'm glad to have it.  While I appreciate the cool/historical factor of some of the rest of the stuff, it's really just taking up space.  

Skullhammer:  I tried searching ebay for the sale you mentioned but couldn't find it.  Was it too long ago or have my ebay skills failed me?

“The older I grow, the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom.”
― H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:43 am 

It was within the last couple of years for sure.  There was some activity on the Acaeum concerning the auction as well.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:46 am 

NetRodentReturns wrote in 1984 TSR Chess Set:…Eventually I realized I had a collecting problem and quit cold turkey.

I think we’ve all been there at one point or another.   8O

Nice to see you back.

-SKA

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:58 pm 

NetRodentReturns wrote in 1984 TSR Chess Set:I am curious about the current value of the 1984 TSR chess sets.  I realize this is a difficult item to appraise since only 30 were produced and they don't come on the market very often.  

I won this item in 2007 in an auction on Ebay for $990.  Unfortunately, I no longer have information about the provenance of the item prior to it coming into my possession.  I believe the last time an item of this type was discussed here was in 2010.

The pewter(?) playing pieces show no signs of damage.  The velvet lining that holds the playing pieces is worn in some places.  The case shows some chipping of paint, particularly on the underside edges of the playing board. There is also a small gouge on the bottom of the case.  One of the four rubber pads that I believe were originally on the four corners of the bottom of the case is missing.

The item has been kept in a smoke free environment since I purchased it 15 years ago.  I don't detect any scent of smoke but the inside of the case has a subtle plastic aroma.

Attachment:

Attachment:

Attachment:

Welcome back!  The chess set is amazing.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:13 am 

NetRodentReturns wrote in 1984 TSR Chess Set:I am curious about the current value of the 1984 TSR chess sets.  I realize this is a difficult item to appraise since only 30 were produced and they don't come on the market very often.  

Attachment:

Attachment:

Attachment:

No idea about the price and I have a collecting problem too but I'm still in denial. I guess that makes me the perfect buyer for this item! Once you land on a price, try me.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:23 pm 

NetRodentReturns wrote in 1984 TSR Chess Set:Skullhammer:  I tried searching ebay for the sale you mentioned but couldn't find it.  Was it too long ago or have my ebay skills failed me?

Hello NetRodent, welcome back!

I believe the last 10th anniversary set that sold on eBay, which was mentioned previously, was sold on September 01, 2021.  You won't find any auctions on eBay that old.  It sold for $3,563.28.  It was listed as in "Like New" condition, never used.  It did look like it had some minor damage, but was in really nice shape.

The set you purchased in 2007, from the seller jagerbudda, is the only other one that I have a record of being sold on eBay in recent times.

Here's the description from the one you acquired:

Very rare and very nice full size Chess set made by TSR Hobbies to commemorate the anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons. This set was created by TSR's in-house sculpting staff ( I sculpted 5 of the 12 different pieces). It is made of hand-cast, hand-finished pewter. The characters represent the classic battle of "Good vs. Evil". No more than 60 of these were ever produced, and the actual number is probably closer to 30! It was not offered to the general public, and was available to employees and business associates only. The tallest piece is 3 and 1/8 inches tall, and the smallest is 1 and 5/8. The board doubles as a storage case and is very well made of faux wood. This example was a gift to my father, and was stored in a collectibles cabinet for many years. These were packed in corrugated boxes, and had no "retail" packaging. The original currugated box is long gone, but the set is stored in a new box of the exact same dimensions. Set weighs 12 pounds! As I recall, these were around $120.00 in '84!

If you wanted a copy of the listing for provenance purposes, I could provide.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:32 pm 

From an appraisal standpoint, these are extremely rare, so it's hard to provide an estimated sale price.

Judging from the condition of your set, and the provenance provided, I would think it could sell for $4-5K today.