Evermist fanzine, Alarums & Excursions, abs DankenDismal app
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:19 pm 

Ok, I could use some help. I have the first three Evermist fanzines starting with Winter 1974. Also have the first 3 issues of Alarums and Excursions, and first three of DankenDismal. I’m not looking to part with them, but I’m curious as to their relative value to collectors these days in price? The only Evermist sale I could locate was issue #16 currently on eBay for about $700. But I couldn’t come up with anything for A&E or DankenDismal. Any help or maybe pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:26 pm 

There are some (very few) here who will be able to put price tags on those. The same who may well be interested in making a private purchase.

Any chance of some photos? For posterity it would be good to see these things. I suspect they fall well outside of my price range.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:56 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Evermist fanzine, Alarums & Excursions, abs DankenDismal app:There are some (very few) here who will be able to put price tags on those. The same who may well be interested in making a private purchase.

Any chance of some photos? For posterity it would be good to see these things. I suspect they fall well outside of my price range.

I hope the third time is a charm here. Here are the first 3 Evermist, and 1,2, and 7 of A&E. They are all in excellent shape in my opinion. Any help with appraising these would be greatly appreciated. I also have Fire the Arquebussers and DankenDismal. I’ll upload those soon too!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:58 pm 

YoDanno wrote in Evermist fanzine, Alarums & Excursions, abs DankenDismal app:
I hope the third time is a charm here. Here are the first 3 Evermist, and 1,2, and 7 of A&E. They are all in excellent shape in my opinion. Any help with appraising these would be greatly appreciated. I also have Fire the Arquebussers and DankenDismal. I’ll upload those soon too!

Okay…here are the same pics a little bigger. Hope this helps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:59 pm 

YoDanno wrote in Evermist fanzine, Alarums & Excursions, abs DankenDismal app:Okay…here are the same pics a little bigger. Hope this helps.

Forgot the A&E in the last one!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:34 pm 

Does Evermist have any RPG content?  The covers suggest it is more a literary fanzine of poems and short stories. They would likely only have some value if there is something by an author who later became famous.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:13 am 

Mars wrote in Evermist fanzine, Alarums & Excursions, abs DankenDismal app:Does Evermist have any RPG content?  The covers suggest it is more a literary fanzine of poems and short stories. They would likely only have some value if there is something by an author who later became famous.

Per the ISFDB issue #3 has a story by E. C. Tubb (but under the name "Eric Storm"), who used to be a well-known writer but is not much read today. Some later issues have more stories by Tubb, and the last issue has a poem by Charles de Lint (also using a pseudonym). None of the other authors in this magazine appear to be notable, and there does not appear to be any RPG content.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:41 pm 

Mars wrote in Evermist fanzine, Alarums & Excursions, abs DankenDismal app:Does Evermist have any RPG content?  The covers suggest it is more a literary fanzine of poems and short stories. They would likely only have some value if there is something by an author who later became famous.

From what I've learned/read, I think that is correct.  That Evermist #16 has been for sale for a while.  In my opinion, I do not think that fantasy literature and review fanzines command anything at all approaching the collectible interest/values paid you will see with vintage RPG items.  I think the folks (like me) who played D&D when they were younger are now at a point where some have disposable income and extreme emotional connection to early era D&D items.  That is what drives current pricing on so much of this.

That said, I collect vintage RPG related items, so maybe someone out there can tell us there is this entire community of people in the same situation with fantasy literature.

For me the Evermist fanzines are just novelties, and while #1 is always a good issue to have I would not expect much for these.  (like $20-$50).  The RPG stuff, however.... (I'll reply to that thread separate).

Keep rollin' 20s, my friends....

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:51 pm 

YoDanno wrote in Evermist fanzine, Alarums & Excursions, abs DankenDismal app:Forgot the A&E in the last one!

These are certainly collectible.  A lot of A&Es are out there but the earliest ones are a bit harder to find.  These look like they are in good shape.  It does look from the cover these are slightly later "reprints" of #1 and #2, but still they're original from the era and not modern photocopies.  A lot of A&Es seem to sell from $30-$60, but I'd think the earliest ones certainly should sell for more.  

I'm one of the guys who is a collector of these early RPG fanzines, and I'd be interested if you want to sell these, as well as the DankenDismal and Fire the Arquebusiers.  (Really any vintage RPG fanzines, I'm interested).  Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat.

Keep rollin' 20s, my friends....

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:59 pm 

AZMountaineer wrote in Evermist fanzine, Alarums & Excursions, abs DankenDismal app:
These are certainly collectible.  A lot of A&Es are out there but the earliest ones are a bit harder to find.  These look like they are in good shape.  It does look from the cover these are slightly later "reprints" of #1 and #2, but still they're original from the era and not modern photocopies.  A lot of A&Es seem to sell from $30-$60, but I'd think the earliest ones certainly should sell for more.  

I'm one of the guys who is a collector of these early RPG fanzines, and I'd be interested if you want to sell these, as well as the DankenDismal and Fire the Arquebusiers.  (Really any vintage RPG fanzines, I'm interested).  Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I love these as well. Not looking to sell, I was just trying to see if there was a market value for these, as I cannot seem to find any others listed in the usual forums.