D&D Fanzines inc The Beholder Set #1 - 25
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:14 am 

Hi everyone -- first time writing on these wonderful boards despite being a lurker for several years.  I was a D&Der along with my mates back in the distant golden years of the seventies.  It's been great reading some of the posts here and quite a few have left me quite teary eyed at the memories of an innocent past!!

I've recently been forced to collect my horde from ye olde family home and have been quite surprised at how collectible items have become.  With that in mind I just wanted to get some advice on the best way to sell the many 'zines that I accumulated at the various D&D conventions visited in my youth.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that generally speaking I should try and sell issues individually, rather than in lots?  Having said that I do have a complete set of The Beholder, which if memory serves me right I subscribed to after meeting Mike and Guy at one of the events at Chelsea Old Town Hall.  I'm not sure what a complete set in very good/NM condition (1 - 25) would be likely to fetch vs selling individually so I thought I'd try and get some advice from you guys.

Would be great to get the thoughts of the experts out there.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:30 pm 

You could try offering it first as a lot at a high price, with the intention of attracting attention rather than selling it. Next, offer them individually, at somewhat more reasonable prices that will actually sell.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:06 am 

I personally do not believe that there exists a "lot premium" in these cases. It is always better to sell individually. The best approach is to sell 5/10 issues at once, ideally with listings overlapping so that bidders can see you have more to sell.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:45 am 

Personally I disagree Axel. I would be very willing to pay a fair price for a full run, but I'm not going to start bidding on individually bundled lots.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:54 pm 

I think that’s a pretty choice lot that would deserve a high asking price.

I’d think individually the prices might be higher, but 25 packages, 25 trips to the post, 25 chances for returns, I’d think about how involved you’d like to get in your new hobby of selling zines :)

Just my two cents, pick a number that you’d be happy with, float it here or somewhere where you don’t give a big chunk away in seller fees, and see what happens.

Good luck!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:05 am 

stratochamp wrote in D&D Fanzines inc The Beholder Set #1 - 25:Personally I disagree Axel. I would be very willing to pay a fair price for a full run, but I'm not going to start bidding on individually bundled lots.

Hello Bill, you have misunderstood me: i do not want to say that it is not possible to find cases of "premium price" for the lot. I only state that usually the lots are often sold at a price lower than the sum of the single items values. It is not a mystery that resellers do their jobs by buying lots and reselling individually.
In addition, if you think in a different way, well you do not bid too often to make the turnaround...  :D  (i am joking!) Seriously: i spotted very rarely these cases to make my mind up that lots are not enough rewarded.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:37 pm 

You should definitely set your prices in crypto. It's the way to go. Now, I know that traditional blockchain currencies like Bitcoin or Luna have had their recent turbidities, but there are perfectly sound alternatives:

Barshcoin - With a value set at the number of unfulfilled orders, this coin will only rise in worth.
Stratocoin - Has a value set at 1 million USD if strato currently owns a complete set of everything RPG related that is 20 years old or older, but has a value of zero if he does not. So by setting your prices based on this variable, holders of Stratocoin have it in their interest to make sure he wins any auction that includes anything he doesn't already have, thus preserving their own investments. Obviously, this will lead to you becoming very wealthy.