Pre-Production TSR Mentzer-Era Dragon Dice ca. 1983
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:10 pm 

Back in 2006 I bought several sets of old dice from Frank Mentzer.

I have remaining three double-partial sets of Mentzer-Era Pre-Production Dragon Dice samples. These were the samples sent by the manufacturer ca. 1983 to TSR for the new run of Dragon Dice to be included in the Mentzer Basic and Expert sets (some had Moldvay dice in early runs).

By the time he sold them to me, there only remained the d4s, d8s, d12s, and d20s; he was not sure if he'd ever even had any of the d6s or d10s.

He therefore gave me three double sets of the four dice, 2x each d4, d8, d12, and d20, in light blue, dark blue, and orange.

I am thinking of selling these as 4-dice sets, one each d4, d8, d12, and d20; and selling one set each of light blue, dark blue, and orange (keeping one set of each for myself).

They are in absolute mint condition (they were in double zip-lock bags wrapped with bubble wrap a box for the last 12 years).

Any idea what these might be worth?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:01 pm 

Occasionally Frank will put a set up and they will go for a decent chunk ( 150+). Dice are very sought after nowadays, especially crafted dice and vintage oop dice....even though it may be an incomplete set, the fact they are pre production seems to boost the value ( although there are many sets of these pre-productions!)

I bought a bunch from frank when he sold them in 2006, including the original wax cuts used to create the dice ( they are in center between other dice from that sale) The D20 did not survive from what Frank said iirc...It would take a large amount of $$ for me to part with those though! :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:10 pm 

Wow, nice set!

The wax proofs look like they are for Moldvay dice, not the Mentzer dice (it is hard to tell from the d8, if it is elongated or not). If the 3 is rounded on the top rather than flat, they are Moldvay dice. They also appear to have the rounded edges of the Moldvay dice rather than the sharper edges of the Mentzer dice.

Unfortunately, it has been a while since Frank sold a set, as there are no completed sales of his sets in his eBay sales record.

Has anyone bought a set from him off eBay recently, and if so, what was the price?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:04 pm 

jamesmishler wrote in Pre-Production TSR Mentzer-Era Dragon Dice ca. 1983:The wax proofs look like they are for Moldvay dice, not the Mentzer dice (it is hard to tell from the d8, if it is elongated or not). If the 3 is rounded on the top rather than flat, they are Moldvay dice. They also appear to have the rounded edges of the Moldvay dice rather than the sharper edges of the Mentzer dice.

I find it amazing how something as simple as dice are examined/scrutinized/graded like gems.  In a way, I guess they are.  Are those middle ones really made of wax?  If so, how in the world have they survived 40+ years?

I mean no disrespect with calling them simple.  I know dice are seriously collected and can be very valuable.  There is definitely a science behind it.

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:44 pm 

Frank frequents the Acaeum.  Perhaps he still has records of his past sales that he'd be willing to divulge.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:54 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Pre-Production TSR Mentzer-Era Dragon Dice ca. 1983:Are those middle ones really made of wax?  If so, how in the world have they survived 40+ years?

Paraffin with a mix of plasticizing resins would likely have be used, which would make them much harder and less brittle than most waxes we think of today.

I recently cleared out my mum's fancy candle collection which had a lot of them from that era and earlier, and if they are protected and not subjected to any temperature extremes or rough handling , they remain surprisingly immaculate.