B3 Palace of The Silver Princess-legit?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:45 am 

I bought this recently and was wondering if it is legit?
It came pretty banged up as you can see from the postage.
Any comments would be helpful.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:49 pm 

Regarding legitimacy, I'll leave that to others who own such things. My gut instinct says yes but I am no expert in shrinkwrapped orange B3s.
However, I have no idea what you paid for it, but if I paid any more than $200 for something and it was shipped in a envelope like that, I'd be straight onto eBay and my credit card looking for a full refund. Whoever packed that is a dick.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:58 pm 

I paid $7600.00

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:21 pm 

Two quick comments:

-- It's very, very common for orange B3s to exhibit warping from too-tight shrinkwrap

-- If it was faked / post-production shrinkwrap, they probably wouldn't have bothered to include the tears or strip of scotch tape

Without better pictures to be sure, it looks legit to me.  However, it's pretty criminal to pack a $7600 item in an envelope like that, which also doesn't bode well for its authenticity (a scammer isn't going to pack a fake well, he's going to toss it in an envelope to you and disappear).  Once you reach this kind of price point, unfortunately, the motive (and profit potential) is definitely there to try and create a professional forgery.

Foul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:56 pm 

That’s an awful packaging job. This was that zero-feedback seller (now one). If you think some damage came from the lack of packaging, I think you’re completely entitled to a partial refund.

How did it get to $80?  Was that the price including insurance?

I had a SW copy and it had rolling from tight shrink just like yours. It looks legit to me in my non-expert opinion.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:50 pm 

Stratochamp would point out that shrinkwrap isn't a condition, so I'd imagine he'd pop it open, treat it well, and press it flat over a long period of time.
I'd probably do the same, because even without the shrink the ROI is gonna be high unless you're forced to sell during a great depression or a world war.

If you ever have to ship it, put it in an envelope, box it up in a big cardboard box, buy that bonded cardboard angle stuff you can buy and reinforce the corners of your box, fill it with foam peanuts and wrap the whole box with seranwrap and then brown paper.

Aside from that, the threat of returning it to the seller, in the same packaging he shipped it to you in, using the same carrier, should be enough to get the seller to refund $600 and make his own claim against the insurance he clearly made you pay for. This is something eBay should deal with, and eBay should also ensure that you're not left out of pocket on shipping and insurance if you do return it.

Is it worth $7600 as a collectable piece? I don't think so. They're not rare. We see them regularly on eBay. And the PDF was published by WoTC for everyone for free.
Is it a good investment? It will beat inflation, and provided you look after it and don't lose it in a house fire, it'll probably return more than if you'd stuck the money into a mutual fund or T-bills over the next decade.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:20 pm 

victorsword wrote in B3 Palace of The Silver Princess-legit?:I paid $7600.00

Unbelievable that it was shipped like that.  It reinforces the belief that you just can't take a chance on a seller with no history with that much money at stake.  I would try to contest it as well.  There will be another one I'm sure of it. $7,600  shakes enough branches that another will surely fall.

Really a shame.

-SKA

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:40 pm 

Thank you for everyone's advice. The seller offered a return on the item. I have a hunch it will be on the Ebay market soon.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:07 pm 

Hey. Welcome to Acaeum btw.  :D

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:55 pm 

victorsword wrote in B3 Palace of The Silver Princess-legit?:Thank you for everyone's advice. The seller offered a return on the item. I have a hunch it will be on the Ebay market soon.

As FoulFoot posted above, the warp in the shrinkwrap is not uncommon.

If you can get it for say $1500-$2000, it's not a bad purchase (even in its current condition).

But not $7600....  :D

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:57 pm 

I would imagine if someone was going to try and sell a forgery, they wouldn't shrink it so badly. On the other hand, the only thing that usually causes shrinkwrap contraction that badly is high heat. Unless someone left it in Death Valley for a day or two, it shouldn't be as warped as Stratochamp's ethics.
Ask them about the provenance.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:56 pm 

Excuse me Deadlord, what was the reason for that ad hominem attack, saying that my ethics are warped?

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:06 am 

I had to reference someone notable in the metaphor. Grodog came to mind but it just wouldn't have worked as well. :)  Your ethics are fine.
If it had been reshrinked, I would expect a close exam would have noted at the least tiny flaws in the cover that couldn't have occurred while it was wrapped.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.