Am I grading too critically?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:35 pm 

The aspect of grading an item's condition that always confounds me is determining how many instances of minor defects does it take to add up to a half or full grade level of condition loss?  I grade condition with a collector's eye, so I notice all manner of flaws that perhaps wouldn't concern a non-collector-player (that's an NCP, not an NPC).  As a result, when I occasionally auction off an item, I feel I may be grading my item's condition too critically.  I really feel this when I see how other sellers grade a copy of the same item!  What they call "Good" I'd consider only "Fair".  And if I were to adopt their grading scale, what I call "Good" might really should be "Very Good"" or even "Fine"!  

I suppose it will always be a subjective call.  So I should just include plenty of photos and let it be, right?  But if anyone here would be so kind as to take a look at the condition of the item I have included in this listing, and let me know if you agree with my "Good+" assessment, I would be a grateful fellow.  (Btw I consider "Good+" as being between Good and Very Good on The Acaeum's scale.)

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Sincerely,
bonk!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:56 pm 

Personally I think you have graded it correctly. It was close to being VG-, but the accumulated general wear in multiple areas brings it down slightly. It's hard for people to grade their own stuff subjectively, so well done!

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:05 pm 

Thank you Stratochamp.  I appreciate the feedback.  And what a relief!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:13 pm 

As many members know, stratochamp is the gold standard in grading collectibles. He has long been the grader for the Gen Con auction, as well as for the auctions at North Texas RPG Con and at Gamehole Con. So if he says you have graded an item correctly, you have graded an item correctly.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:27 pm 

The connection between condition/grade and price is not as clear cut as the system used for comics that it was based on.

Except for high end items, we could probably get away with something much simpler like Heavily Worn, Used, Like New, and New.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:34 pm 

I had a bookseller want to fight me once when I described a game book as fine. Whole different scale in among collectible books I learned.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:39 pm 

I looked at the module and didnt find any flaw making it "only" good... I'd have graded it VG without any doubt... The good definition of these boards reports the presence of flaws which are by far worse than those i spotted in the module... I invite bonk! to read it again before grading it only good!
Ciaooo

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:48 am 

I don't have the grading experience of many others on this forum, but I would also give that a VG.  I see a little creasing of the spine, a dog eared page, and some wear on the cover.  Can't comment on the condition of the staples, however. What did I miss?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:40 am 

aia wrote in Am I grading too critically?:I looked at the module and didnt find any flaw making it "only" good... I'd have graded it VG without any doubt... The good definition of these boards reports the presence of flaws which are by far worse than those i spotted in the module... I invite bonk! to read it again before grading it only good!
Ciaooo

I have stated before Axel that in my opinion the grades on the Acaeum site are all off about a grade. Normally a book would need to have a noticeable flaw to fall below VG, but an accumulation of wear (in my opinion) will lower the grade as well. It is always difficult to grade something over the internet, so it might be VG- upon closer inspection.

Prices are rising in our hobby for a number of reasons but one of them certainly is that the percentage of collectors is rising compared to the percentage of people who judge the value solely based on content. As our hobby matures there will be more price stratification based upon condition than there is now. Actual NM items will continue escalating while lesser copies will drop relative to their flaws.

Shrink is not a condition