Nihilistic Motorcyclists Chris Engle 1986
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:04 pm 

I have this game booklet. Digest Size. Can't find much on it other than a post on Old Guard Gaming. I think I picked it up from Collector's Trove but can't remember.

Old Guard Gaming : Nihilistic Motorcyclists! Who runs Bartertown? Chris Engle runs Bartertown!

The author claims only 25 copies were sold.

I realize it's not only Rare? but also may not be sought after because it's so obscure.

Any thoughts on valuation? It's in really nice shape.

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:34 pm 

I’ll leave it to others with a more esoteric interest in collecting in the RPG space to advise on possible value.

My observations would be that it is an obscurity, one may consider it rare, but it is a digest one off game with little history of note, and little future playability. No more rare than say a copy of a fanzine in the same time frame (let’s pick Beholder #26 as an example) of which probably less than a dozen still exist, which no doubt probably reside in at least one collection on this forum, but which do appeal to the mass market when it comes to saleability.

There are those who will buy because it is D&D.
Those who will buy because it is part of a set.
Those who buy because they want to possess rare knowledge unavailable to others.
Those who perceive a future increase in value.

On the whole I’ve found most people establish their assessments of value based on how much they desire something, and on how much they perceive others to value that thing. This is done usually through forums talking and researching things, and the watching of the flow of products through eBay etc.

With this it’s a complete turkey shoot. Unknown author. Unknown product. Unknown quality. Unknown value to others in the marketplace. I’d be surprised if you got more than $50 for it. I’d consider bidding $25 on it myself on account of having to ship it to Europe if you’re in the US. It has no real playability appeal for me, but it would make a quirky PDF to add to a collection of the weird and esoteric.

The link makes good reading.
Post a link if you stick it on eBay.
If you get private offers over $100 from anyone on the forum with a few thousand posts to their name, take one of them. They are generous more often than not, and you won’t have to pay fees to eBay.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:06 pm 

Well it's not D&D as it's not fantasy role playing. Is it in fact a role playing item (with quantified interactive storytelling) or is it just a game? Assuming that it is a role playing item, I would put this on par with something like Creeks & Crawdads (where one plays a post apocalyptic crawdad) where very few were made and only a few actually care. I have usually picked up C&C items for about $40-$50.
If it is filled with rules for use with miniatures then it would be worth less, maybe $20.

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:45 am 

stratochamp wrote in Nihilistic Motorcyclists Chris Engle 1986:Well it's not D&D as it's not fantasy role playing. Is it in fact a role playing item (with quantified interactive storytelling) or is it just a game? Assuming that it is a role playing item, I would put this on par with something like Creeks & Crawdads (where one plays a post apocalyptic crawdad) where very few were made and only a few actually care. I have usually picked up C&C items for about $40-$50.
If it is filled with rules for use with miniatures then it would be worth less, maybe $20.

A recent sale was approx 80 bucks for the rulebook and 90 bucks for the module (i assume it is the only module produced...). Both BIN....
I'd really love to see these items auctioned... My guess would be they end both over 100 usd!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:59 am 

stratochamp wrote in Nihilistic Motorcyclists Chris Engle 1986:Well it's not D&D as it's not fantasy role playing.

What if the motorcyclist is a wizard? Does that count?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:06 am 

I think that wizard is going to end up like Isadora Duncan.

Shrink is not a condition