Deities & Demigods 1st print signed by Mr. Ward & Mr. Kuntz
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:28 am 

I have a copy of Deities & Demigods which is a first printing (contains the 17 pantheons including Cthulhu and Melnibonean and Chaosium is not thanked on the bottom of page 4). It is autographed by Mr. Ward & Mr. Kuntz. I have enjoyed learning about other people's collections on this site and would like to know what folks think about a few of the items I have, starting with this one. Thank you.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:45 pm 

Hastur the Unspeakable wrote in Deities & Demigods 1st print signed by Mr. Ward & Mr. Kuntz:I have a copy of Deities & Demigods which is a first printing (contains the 17 pantheons including Cthulhu and Melnibonean and Chaosium is not thanked on the bottom of page 4). It is autographed by Mr. Ward & Mr. Kuntz. I have enjoyed learning about other people's collections on this site and would like to know what folks think about a few of the items I have, starting with this one. Thank you.

Hello, Hastur. Welcome to The Acaeum!

Perhaps you should introduce yourself to the community. There is a thread under that same name for that. Also, there is a thread called 'Bragging Rights - show us yer pics' or something like that to 'show off' your collection. That way, you have it all in one place. You can search both threads using the Search button above.

And, to answer your question, that is one sweet piece of D&D history. The possibility of scoring autographs of old grognards like those two is getting pretty scarce.

Welcome!

Héctor.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:36 am 

Hello Hastur, if the overall conditions of the book are good enough for collectors, that book might sell between 200 and 300 bucks imho.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:02 pm 

Thank you for your input on this item.

I did find a second printing (where they do thank Chaosium on p.4) for auction on Ebay where the current bid is $176:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

aia wrote in Deities & Demigods 1st print signed by Mr. Ward & Mr. Kuntz:Hello Hastur, if the overall conditions of the book are good enough for collectors, that book might sell between 200 and 300 bucks imho.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:23 am 

Well, if you want to make some cash, i'd say this is a good momentum!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:40 pm 

It's always a little surprising how much these go for considering how many of them there are in circulation.

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:25 am 

stratochamp wrote in Deities & Demigods 1st print signed by Mr. Ward & Mr. Kuntz:It's always a little surprising how much these go for considering how many of them there are in circulation.

It's what people have heard of, & it's a quality work. That last bit is easy to forget, since we spend so much time seeking out the most amateurish works & the deservedly obscure.

p.s. I'd like to welcome you to our humble discussion group as well, Hastur, & just want to say that...wait, what's happening?...oh, no...dear God, no...

p.p.s. Now we are all Hastur. Let us take our enlightenment to every far corner of the internet, until the glorious light absorbs all.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:06 pm 

Having owned a ton of them over the years, I merely copied the relevant pages for personal use, stuck them in a later copy, and traded/sold off the originals for others to collect and enjoy. I think the huge draw is the Cthulhu mythos; only geeks like us know what Melnibone was. By the way, Melnibonean mythos is incorrect. Melnibone was one country, but Moorcock's books are about the entire world. IIRC when Elric blows the Horn of Fate and nukes the world, he sets the stage for current-day Earth.
As an aside, if you had the choice of any weapon in AD&D, without being dominated and carving up small children for amusement, would you pick Stormbringer or another published weapon? Kinda hard to beat a +5 sword with a 50% kill chance, 100% MR, and the ability to add strength/HP/etc.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:08 pm 

I always liked the Bohemian Ear Spoon as a weapon of choice

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:42 am 

while perhaps not a weapon per se, I would go for pushing some buttons and cranking some cranks on the Machine of Lum the Mad.....

Deadlord wrote in Deities & Demigods 1st print signed by Mr. Ward & Mr. Kuntz:Having owned a ton of them over the years, I merely copied the relevant pages for personal use, stuck them in a later copy, and traded/sold off the originals for others to collect and enjoy. I think the huge draw is the Cthulhu mythos; only geeks like us know what Melnibone was. By the way, Melnibonean mythos is incorrect. Melnibone was one country, but Moorcock's books are about the entire world. IIRC when Elric blows the Horn of Fate and nukes the world, he sets the stage for current-day Earth.
As an aside, if you had the choice of any weapon in AD&D, without being dominated and carving up small children for amusement, would you pick Stormbringer or another published weapon? Kinda hard to beat a +5 sword with a 50% kill chance, 100% MR, and the ability to add strength/HP/etc.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:48 pm 

Deadlord wrote in Deities & Demigods 1st print signed by Mr. Ward & Mr. Kuntz:As an aside, if you had the choice of any weapon in AD&D, without being dominated and carving up small children for amusement, would you pick Stormbringer or another published weapon? Kinda hard to beat a +5 sword with a 50% kill chance, 100% MR, and the ability to add strength/HP/etc.

If you take down Elric who is wielding that sword, I would bet a lot of gold you don’t need it.  One of my favorite swords to be acquired by players was Strahd’s Sunsword. Fun times with a sentient sword.

-SKA

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:39 pm 

Personally I've always preferred swords without a personality. I find the liabilities inflicted by most DMs outweigh the benefits. The exception is always holy weapons.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.