Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:24 pm 

Hello lovely people. Be kind to a newbie!

I have been a long time fan of D&D ever since the early 80s when I was 5 years old and got into RPG, I had all the original sets (still do, in fact through to immortals set, and my 38th Level Elf!)... anyway...

I recently picked up a very clean looking copy of what I think is GM1, Flight of Eagles, as well as:

Bushido Books I - The Heroes of Nippon,
Bushido II, The Land of Nippon,
Takishido's Debt (by Steve Bell) (Bushido Mini adventure)

A boxed RuneQuest Deluxe Edition (1984- without dice but otherwise perfect) and

what seems to be pretty much perfect, unread copies of
Tortured Souls! by Beast Entz, numbered 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9 & 12

Can anyone help me with the value of these? I bought them because I loved D&D back in the day but if they're actually valuable then I have a truckload of other priorities that may mean I sell them. Hence my questions to you good folks.

General notes on condition- the GM1 looks perfect, very minor bottom edgewear, otherwise unread. The Bushido books are unread inside, but the covers have creases but nothing bad, just the back dye is white in places where it's creased. The RuneQuest is completely perfect inside, just no dice, and all the Tortured Souls look like they were made yesterday with the very occasional minor bump to a corner here or there.

Can anyone help me out? I have a quick ebay and the Tortured Souls! seems to list and sell for about £30 each but I have no idea on the rest. I read in a forum here that the GM1 might be rare, but that was a thread from nearly 15 years ago, so who knows, not I!

Many thanks in advance for you kind attentions,

David

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:22 pm 

Hey David,

I can't speak to the other materials in any detail (although I think that the Bushido 1st printing by Tyr games is probably rarer), but I would say that the Tortured Souls go for £12-25 in excellent condition if they include the pull-out games/floorplans which were stapled in to the centre (not every issue had one if I recall). Or at least I *was* going to say that but I had a look at sold ebay prices and you are right, they are now higher. If you are looking to sell and not keep them, I would list them separately as some are much harder to get than others. Again, I would have said list them for auction and see what they go for, but ebay has changed in the last few years and people do seem to get higher prices in many respects (not all) for listing as buy-it-nows and accepting offers. Maybe start at £35 and see what interest you get.

Oh, and post your ebay link in the classifieds here too!

PS. Some people here are more clued-in to rpg mags than me, perhaps they could suggest which ones are rarer/worth listing higher and which ones more common/cheaper? ... mbassoc2003 looking at you!!  :)

PPS. Welcome!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:47 pm 

Hello David,

Welcome to The Acaeum!  I think you will find that the forums here are pretty low-key.  We're mainly here to discuss our passion for D&D collectibles, and perhaps a few other things as well.

GM1 A Flight of Eagles typically sells for $35-50 in VG condition.  If your copy is NM, then it's probably worth about $80-100.

In case you weren't aware, there were five magazines in the series:

GM1         A Flight of Eagles
GM2         Find The Lady
GM3         In Search of New Gods
GM4         The Awakening
GM5         Rod Of Seraillan

GM1 and GM2 are harder to find than the latter three and usually sell for more.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:12 am 

The first two are "magazines", the last three are modules and were distributed as such.

Shrink is not a condition

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:37 am 

Thank you all very much, that's super useful - think I'll list them on ebay BINOBO then, that could be a few bob all told. Will be sure to post the auctions here too, thanks for your help. What luck!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:20 am 

I tried to post a response yesterday, but my PC died on me.  :oops:

Issue 1 has two pullout adventures running from Page 13 through 28, The Rising Tower is a sandy brown colour, and Tomb of Qadir in more of an mustardy yellow paper.
Issue 2 has two pullout adventures running from Page 11 through 30, Ataa's Mouth is a olive green colour, and Raid on Erivaan in more of an lighter vibrant green paper.
Issue 3 has one pullout adventure running from Page 17 through 24, Galizhard on an olive green paper, and (usually missing), a large A2 size fold out colour Zhalindor Map in colour on glossy paper.
Issue 4 has one pullout adventure running from Page 17 through 24, Eldrahim on an olive green paper, and I believe is the issue that came with the loose flier, The Golden Spire, in some outlets (while stocks lasted) promoting The Hall of the Dwarven Kings and it's tie to the Zhalindor Campaign Setting. Later to be sold and republished by Games Workshop for the Warhammer FRPG.
Issue 5 has one pullout adventures running from Page 13 through 28, The Black Hawk on a light blue paper.
Issue 6 doesn't have coloured paper pull out adventures, but does come with a cardboard insert centrefold which is not page numbered, the free game Zoot referred to on the cover.
Issue 7 has one pullout adventures running from Page 15 through 26, Myanaar's Chance on a light blue paper. It also then has stapled into the centre, but not numbered, a copy of Beast News, a single bi-fold on salmon pink paper, and then a set of floor plans. Can anyone tell me whether these floor plans are double sided or single sided, and on gloss paper or card? I no longer have my copy.
Issue 8 has one pullout adventure running from Page 17 through 26, The Stones of Pirarnis on the light sandy coloured paper. There is also then an etunnumbered centre pullout of floor plans. A single sheet printed on both sides. Can anyone tell me whether this was on gloss paper or card? I no longer have my copy.
Issue 9 has two pullout adventures running from Pages 13 through 28, Burran Moor and Darkling Stone, both on olive green paper.
Issue 10 has one pullout adventure running from Pages 15 through 26, Marazmus Redivivus on olive green paper.
Issue 11 has two pullout adventures running from Pages 13 through 28, The Sand-Blind on the mustardy yellow paper, and The Tears of the Moon on the lighter vibrant green paper.
Issue 12 has one pullout adventure running from Page 13 through 28, In the Shadow of the King, on light blue paper.

If your copies are complete, clean and unused, good clear photos and suitable advertising on the boards pointing at eBay listings or soliciting private offers, should get you £10-£20 a copy. If you have the map with Issue 3 that will push the value up to maybe £25 or £30 depending on interest at the time. If you do have a copy of The Golden Spire, solicit private offers in the Classified, or list it specifically on its own on eBay, because it will be one of only a handful I know to have survived.

Afterglow2.com hasn't been updated in 15 years, but its still fairly comprehensive, as is Tome of Treasures.
Beast Enterprises Page has a little info of The Golden Spire bi-fold on it at the bottom.

As for A Flight of Eagles, I'd concur with the prices suggested. I'd certainly consider going to £50 or so for a crispy clean fairly minty copy here in the UK. They only come up once or twice a year at best, and are a gap in many collectors non-TSR collections. Unfortunately, unlike Tortured Souls! which do not seem to have made it to the illicit PDF market in their entirety, or in any discernible quality, GM1 to GM5 are all available online to download in a quality that the average reader would find pleasant, so what used to be a stupidly difficult hunt and a rare reading experience, the GameMaster Publications series are now products targeted by very few collectors who are looking explicitly for old UK published non-TSR product, who must have physical copies and not just the desire to read and use them.

Good luck if you sell.  :D

... and sorry to anyone out there who still uses my site as a reference for these things. Life got real busy real quick and the site just kinda froze in 2006. I do note that NKG still harvest my photos for their website though. Fifteen years seems to have gone by so quick. 8O

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:21 am 

I found GMPubs my favourite magazines at the time they were published and took years to get copy 1 & 2 having bought 3-5 back in the day

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:06 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines:I found GMPubs my favourite magazines at the time they were published and took years to get copy 1 & 2 having bought 3-5 back in the day

Back in 2005/6 I found TS!10 to be harder to come by than GM1. But GM2 was the first one I picked up, and it cost me about £12 IIRC. Those were the days when you could pick up Starstone and Seren Ironhand for less than £30. There wasn't much competition back then.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:19 am 

Oh wow, thank you so much again for all the info on the TS!.

Sadly no Golden Spire, though I do know the place where I got them and will be there again at the weekend, so will look to see if there is one squirrelled away in the ephemera in which I found these. What does that go for do you think? Just out of interest!

Will look to list them all over the weekend if I get time, and provide links back into the group.

Oh, where can I get info on the Bushido books and RuneQuest - any ideas?

Thanks to everyone once again.

David

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:49 am 

djfchappell wrote in Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines:Oh wow, thank you so much again for all the info on the TS!.

Sadly no Golden Spire, though I do know the place where I got them and will be there again at the weekend, so will look to see if there is one squirrelled away in the ephemera in which I found these. What does that go for do you think? Just out of interest!

Will look to list them all over the weekend if I get time, and provide links back into the group.

Oh, where can I get info on the Bushido books and RuneQuest - any ideas?

Thanks to everyone once again.

David

Anyone's guess on the sale of The Golden Spire. The copy I owned is no doubt still with a board member here, although I do not recall which one, and I don't recall the circumstances of the transaction either. I can honestly say I have never seen one come up for sale on eBay, either on its own or in a bundle (i.e. with magazines), so it'd be a complete turkey shoot. Certainly its something I'd throw maybe £30-£40 at if it were a UK seller 'cos it's my side of the pond. But if it were known to be for sale by the right people, I think it would go for double that. It is a piece that is missing from a number of collector's collections.

I had originally thought it's existence was an error on my part. That maybe it was a sheet from one of the CDM series of boxed sets - Beast Ents wrote the Complete DungeonMaster Series (CDM1-4) and published them as Integrated Games. But I had enough copies of Dwarven Kings and Qazar-Khan go through my hands to see that it wasn't from those boxed sets.

Maybe someone where with access to their copy can confirm whether or not it has staple holes (i.e. was once a pullout) I doubt it. If the copy I had had staple holes I would not have concluded 'free promo flyer'. Alas, I no longer have contact details from Basil Barrett, and neglected to ask the question of him at the time.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:09 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines:
Issue 4 has one pullout adventure running from Page 17 through 24, Eldrahim on an olive green paper, and I believe is the issue that came with the loose flier, The Golden Spire, in some outlets (while stocks lasted) promoting The Hall of the Dwarven Kings and it's tie to the Zhalindor Campaign Setting. Later to be sold and republished by Games Workshop for the Warhammer FRPG.
Issue 7 has one pullout adventures running from Page 15 through 26, Myanaar's Chance on a light blue paper. It also then has stapled into the centre, but not numbered, a copy of Beast News, a single bi-fold on salmon pink paper, and then a set of floor plans. Can anyone tell me whether these floor plans are double sided or single sided, and on gloss paper or card? I no longer have my copy.
Issue 8 has one pullout adventure running from Page 17 through 26, The Stones of Pirarnis on the light sandy coloured paper. There is also then an etunnumbered centre pullout of floor plans. A single sheet printed on both sides. Can anyone tell me whether this was on gloss paper or card? I no longer have my copy.

I've read different comments of which issue Golden Spire came with. Doesn't matter, it never seems to be included with any issue I look at. :)

The floor plans in 7 and 8 are double sided and cardstock, not glossy.

djfchappell wrote in Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines:Oh, where can I get info on the Bushido books and RuneQuest - any ideas?

The Runequest box and Bushido items are probably in the $20-50 range.

mbassoc2003 wrote in Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines:But if it were known to be for sale by the right people, I think it would go for double that. It is a piece that is missing from a number of collector's collections.

I blame you for putting this on my radar years ago. ;)

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:18 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines:Anyone's guess on the sale of The Golden Spire. The copy I owned is no doubt still with a board member here, although I do not recall which one, and I don't recall the circumstances of the transaction either. I can honestly say I have never seen one come up for sale on eBay, either on its own or in a bundle (i.e. with magazines), so it'd be a complete turkey shoot. Certainly its something I'd throw maybe £30-£40 at if it were a UK seller 'cos it's my side of the pond. But if it were known to be for sale by the right people, I think it would go for double that. It is a piece that is missing from a number of collector's collections.

The copy I bought was bundled with TS#1 as I recall.

mbassoc2003 wrote in Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines:Maybe someone where with access to their copy can confirm whether or not it has staple holes (i.e. was once a pullout) I doubt it. If the copy I had had staple holes I would not have concluded 'free promo flyer'. Alas, I no longer have contact details from Basil Barrett, and neglected to ask the question of him at the time.

I don't recall it having staple holes, will check :D

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:36 am 

TheHistorian wrote in Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines:The floor plans in 7 and 8 are double sided and cardstock, not glossy.

Thanks for this. I need to make sure my notes are complete for the hypothetical day I update the website.

TheHistorian wrote in Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines:I blame you for putting this on my radar years ago. ;)

:lol:  ... and you were my first guess as to who I passed my copy on to. You don't have a copy?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:19 am 

This was my original assumption because of its direct tie in to Tomb of Qadir in TS!#1, but some discussions I had about this in 2005/2006 (and I don't recall the exact context) pegged it about 9 months year later. As I recall it had something to do with the establishment of Integrated Games, and a desire/need to promote the Zhalindor campaign setting which both companies were writing/positioning their products in, but this conversation never happened with Basil Barrett, so it was probably a side discussion I had with Allen Hickling or one of the long artists. I don't think I ever managed to track down Simon Forrest, but I can't be sure. I don't have the HDD from those days, so can't reconstruct my e-mail history.  :(

As an aside, I had always assumed Allen Hickling was the floorplan guy, but the floorplans in TS! are attributed to Brendon Hickling. So is Allen his did or his son?

Is it possible you bought your copy from me? I don't recall. I remember selling more than one complete run of them back in the day, but I don't imagine I would have included The Golden Spire with in the set. I imagine I would have listed it separately or sold it privately on the forum. Who knows? So long as someone has it and its not in a landfill somewhere it'll be recycled through the forum or eBay at some point in the future I imagine.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:24 am 

CDM1 recently sold for $130ish recently

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:52 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines:CDM1 recently sold for $130ish recently

I'm surprised if it was the one in crappy condition. In VGC uncut condition I could understand it going that high given the near unlimited money printing going on. The boxed version of CDM2 seems to be the rarity.

It's a real shame Basil wasn't up for taking the chance and publishing the whole lot in PDF. A couple of the original artists were all for doing new artwork and had no issues with their IP claims to what previously had been printed in TS! and CDM. It's a mess with joint authorship with Simon, and Allen Hickling's claims to the floorplans, and the rights to the CDM Series in part having been sold Games Workshop. But he could have taken the chance given his claim as the principle author. Could have published and then ceased if a cease and desist letter were filed by one of the other parties. At least the product would have then been out there is some legitimised form instead of the illicit and mostly crap PDFs floating around the netherworld. Deep Water Shallow Graves could have been fleshed out from the transcript that existed and recollection, and I even furnished him with the original TS fanzines which few know about, so on the whole a complete Zhalindor package could have been presented in its entity. It's a damn shame.

As a side note... Simon Forrest is listed as the editor of Tortured Souls (the original fanzine) and as author of some of the CDM boxed sets, as well as GM1 A Flight of Eagles, so he was pretty prolific, had his pen in both Imagine's Pelinore Campaign and the Zhalindor Campaign worlds. But all authorship that I can see in Tortured Souls! the Series 1-12 is attributed only to Beast Enterprises and it's contributors. None are named specifically, and Beast Enterprises Limited appears to have never been a legitimate company with owners. We have a collective of anonymous established authors (Paul Cockburn, Fiona Lloyd, Graeme Davis, Carl Sargent, Bryan Games), any, all or none? writing adventures on the site and publishing through an anonymised publication whilst they were working for other RPG publishers. Moonlighting for money? Or just undermining their employers? All ostensibly under the organisational coordination of Basil Barrett. Or maybe Basil was the sole writer of everything? But I don't think so. Then, at some point briefly a number of them quit their legitimate jobs as writers with Imagine etc., (or did it not happen until TSR pulled Imagine?) and they form GameMaster Publications (without Basil Barrett) under the coordination of Simon Forrest. Simon in the interim had been up front about writing the CDM Series with Basil and Allen doing the floorplans.

It would be interesting to get these influences all mapped out.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:12 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines:
This was my original assumption because of its direct tie in to Tomb of Qadir in TS!#1, but some discussions I had about this in 2005/2006 (and I don't recall the exact context) pegged it about 9 months year later. As I recall it had something to do with the establishment of Integrated Games, and a desire/need to promote the Zhalindor campaign setting which both companies were writing/positioning their products in, but this conversation never happened with Basil Barrett, so it was probably a side discussion I had with Allen Hickling or one of the long artists. I don't think I ever managed to track down Simon Forrest, but I can't be sure. I don't have the HDD from those days, so can't reconstruct my e-mail history.  :(

That's similar to what I recall too, Ian:  that they were promotional from the founding of Integrated Games vs. the initial launch of the TS zines (in either size/format).  

mbassoc2003 wrote in Value on GM1 A Flight of Eagles / Tortured Soul magazines:Is it possible you bought your copy from me? I don't recall. I remember selling more than one complete run of them back in the day, but I don't imagine I would have included The Golden Spire with in the set. I imagine I would have listed it separately or sold it privately on the forum. Who knows? So long as someone has it and its not in a landfill somewhere it'll be recycled through the forum or eBay at some point in the future I imagine.

I don't have a complete run of either version of TS, so that wasn't me.  I'm pretty sure I bought my TS#1 with GS from Tadashi.

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:30 pm 

Ah.. Tadashi. There's a name I haven't heard (read) in a while.

Regarding The Golden Spire, it really is only a hunting exercise for the diehard completist. It really isn't much of a read.

Next