Deities & Demigods huge James M. Ward mistake
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:36 pm 

I don't know where this should be posted on this forum. I politely ask the managers of the Acaeum to place this in the best spot.

I'm horrified to discover I made a mistake. I claimed the manuscript was my original. Some people rightly brought up questions about it. I took it back from my friend to check the manuscript out. I hadn't looked at it in over thirty years. I discovered it was indeed a total photocopy of the edited manuscript and not the original. I immediately took down the ebay listing as I had made a wrong assumption. I fully realize this is going to lesson the value of the manuscript. It is much more important to me to be honest than the sale.

So this is my photocopied manuscript from back in the day. It has editorial marks.

I deeply regret making this bonehead mistake. I acted as soon as I could to correct the matter. A new posting with the notes on the photocopy will be listed tomorrow or the next day.

If you have any more questions feel free to contact or yell at me at [email protected].

James M. Ward

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:27 pm 

Your honesty and transparency is appreciated!  I'm sure I speak for all the interested parties here -- while there's certainly disappointment, there's no hard feelings.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:36 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in Deities & Demigods huge James M. Ward mistake:Your honesty and transparency is appreciated!  I'm sure I speak for all the interested parties here -- while there's certainly disappointment, there's no hard feelings.

Foul

Agreed!  We all make mistakes.  Your plan of correction sounds good.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:36 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Deities & Demigods huge James M. Ward mistake:
Agreed!  We all make mistakes.  Your plan of correction sounds good.   8)

+1

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:20 pm 

jamesmwardMA1976 wrote in Deities & Demigods huge James M. Ward mistake:I don't know where this should be posted on this forum. I politely ask the managers of the Acaeum to place this in the best spot.

I'm horrified to discover I made a mistake. I claimed the manuscript was my original. Some people rightly brought up questions about it. I took it back from my friend to check the manuscript out. I hadn't looked at it in over thirty years. I discovered it was indeed a total photocopy of the edited manuscript and not the original. I immediately took down the ebay listing as I had made a wrong assumption. I fully realize this is going to lesson the value of the manuscript. It is much more important to me to be honest than the sale.

So this is my photocopied manuscript from back in the day. It has editorial marks.

I deeply regret making this bonehead mistake. I acted as soon as I could to correct the matter. A new posting with the notes on the photocopy will be listed tomorrow or the next day.

If you have any more questions feel free to contact or yell at me at [email protected].

James M. Ward

Transparency is appreciated in the collecting realm, and no money had even changed hands, so no reason to apologize.

Good luck with the auction, I predict you will still clear $10K.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:34 pm 

There have been quite a few photocopied items.  I contacted the seller and he was very open and honest about photocopied items versus "originals".  Since I specifically collect Wisconsin Gen Con ephemera, original vs. copy will play a part in my decision to add it to the collection and how much I'm willing to spend.  I'm sure that's the same for other collectors as well.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:35 pm 

Chances are pretty high that this is the only surviving photocopy of the original manuscript, and unless someone comes forward and indicates they have the original or another copy, this is all that remains.  It also has the provenance of coming from Jim Ward's collection, in the original box.  Makes it quite valuable, even as a photocopy.  Some of the early, low volume modules were photocopies or printer outputs, and they are quite valuable.