OD&D 3rd print signed
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:44 pm 

Just wondering what the value of this 3rd print OD&D signed by Gygax and Arneson may be. I bought this at the 1997 Gencon and had it signed then.
There is no writing in the books other than the signatures.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Thanks
Bob

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:54 am 

Way above what I'd ever be able to afford, so I'll leave it to those with the means to provide an estimate. I'm sure there will be a few private offers.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:06 am 

A third print sold on eBay for $3800.00 back in December, but it was not nearly as nice, and it wasn't signed.  A second print in as good a condition as yours, but not signed, sold for $14,100.00 back in December!   A third print in pretty good condition sold for $4351.00 back in September on eBay, but it wasn't signed.  A third print in "used" condition sold for $3,547.25 back in June on eBay.  A third print set sold for $6,700.00 back in April of 2020 on eBay, and it was close to your set in condition, very fine + to near mint, but it wasn't signed.  A third print set in very fine condition (or so) sold for $5,110.00 back in March of 2020 on eBay, and it was not signed.

Signatures on collectibles overall are a plus for some buyers and not for other buyers.  I would say that these signatures are tastefully placed and add to the value, but not a whole lot.  I would not be surprised if you get $11,000.00 for this set, maybe more.  Patience is your friend.  You will get offers.  And while selling off eBay eliminates their fees, the number and range of buyers almost always results in you getting more money for your items there.  Prices on items like these have jumped noticeably over the past couple of years making appraisals challenging.  There are better appraisers on these forums than me.

WOW!!   8O

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:30 pm 

benjoshua's assessment is probably not too far off.  It's extremely rare to see both of their autographs on anything, and to have it on a very nice, and rare 3rd print, is as rare as it gets.

I would think that it would sell for $8,000-10,000, maybe more if at least a couple of people are interested who want both Gary and Dave's signatures on a beautiful brown box.

Do you intend to sell it or are you just looking for an appraisal?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:32 pm 

Thanks for the assessments!

I haven't decided yet about selling. I likely will at some point, but not sure when. I'll definitely post here when I'm ready to sell.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:46 pm 

20k easy in my opinion.  Maybe less if the collectible market corrects itself at some point.  But if things are staying the same, 20k for a mega collectible grail like this is peanuts.    If sigs could get authenticated, 25k+