Grading Dragon/Dungeon Magazines
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:31 am 

Is there a generally accepted set of grading standards for Dragon and Dungeon magazines?

Thanks!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:53 pm 

Yes, from an Acaeum perspective, please see the info here:

Grading

We are probably a little more critical on the grading for the Acaeum valuations, which are tracked here:

The Acaeum

Not everyone agrees with these grading standards, but they have been used for many years, by a lot of people.  Some like to use the comic book standards for grading, as they are considered more strict than the Acaeum standards, and are well-established.

If you want to avoid any issues if selling something, it's best that you describe the condition accurately and provide plenty of clear pics.

Oh, you can also get your Dragon and Dungeon magazines, and pretty much anything else, professionally graded now.  Here's an eBay listing where they have done just that with a Dragon Magazine #1:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:40 pm 

Since we are on the subject of grading.  I have been going through some of my older modules and trying to give them appropriate values. I am having difficulties with a few pastels because of their staples.

Here is a front and back of a G2 Module however there is some staple rust you don't see.  (apologies I have to take a picture of it). How much does staple rust factor into the grading?  Does one give 2 values like you see with boxed sets or just a blanket value rounding down? Reading the guidelines noted above there seems to be a grey area.  Grading is in the eye of the beholder but I'm not inclined to lead people astray either.

I appreciate any and all advice.

Attachment:
IMG_0687.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0686.jpg

Thanks in advance.

-SKA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:11 pm 

Personally I believe double grades should only be used if the item is boxed to distinguish between the box and the contents. I think the rise (probably due to NK) of grading the outside and inside of modules (for instance) is being done so the emphasis can be placed on the better conditioned portion. For instance "Module is Mint!!!, cover has red stains."

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:07 pm 

I concur with stratochamp on only having one grade for bound items.  Factor in the staple rust into your grade.  Typically it can knock down the grade by one level, depending on how bad it is.

Reviewing the couple of pics you have of this module, and considering light staple rust with no rust on the cover, it would probably be VF by Acaeum standards.  Some might still consider it NM, if the rust was only a slight discoloration of the staples.

BTW, I've seen a lot of items with slight staple rust that have sold for NM prices.  It's fairly common for some staple rust to occur on some of these items, as some of the staples that were used were not very resistant to oxidation.  Think of cars produced in the 70's and 80's...

Describing defects and having high-resolution pictures is always best, if selling, as then the potential buyers can make the determination themselves.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:18 pm 

Well, it's odd that a Dragon Vol. 1 No. 1 was used as an example, because that's exactly what I have that I want graded...

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:48 pm 

It would be a good one to get graded, the caveat being that it would have to remain in the archival holder to keep the grade.

For rare items, professional grading could be worthwhile.  It has not been widely adopted for D&D-type collectibles yet, but I suspect that will change in the future, especially to certify the authenticity of very rare and expensive items.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:00 pm 

But remember Doug, the items would have to (horrors!) come out of the shrinkwrap to be authenticated!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:03 pm 

Oh yes, that would be necessary for the condition to be graded properly. :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:13 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Grading Dragon/Dungeon Magazines:But remember Doug, the items would have to (horrors!) come out of the shrinkwrap to be authenticated!

Blasphemy!  8O

-SKA

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:49 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Grading Dragon/Dungeon Magazines:Since we are on the subject of grading.  I have been going through some of my older modules and trying to give them appropriate values. I am having difficulties with a few pastels because of their staples.

Here is a front and back of a G2 Module however there is some staple rust you don't see.  (apologies I have to take a picture of it). How much does staple rust factor into the grading?  Does one give 2 values like you see with boxed sets or just a blanket value rounding down? Reading the guidelines noted above there seems to be a grey area.  Grading is in the eye of the beholder but I'm not inclined to lead people astray either.

I appreciate any and all advice.

Attachment:
IMG_0687.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0686.jpg

Thanks in advance.

-SKA

My 2 cents: from the pics i would say VF, since you are adding a flow which is present, i would dwongrade it to FN... This is the way i usually apply when i have to grade items here by using pics from ebay auctions.
Ciaooo

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:15 am 

While on the topic of staples.  This looks to be an example of them 'bleeding through' the cover?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:49 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Grading Dragon/Dungeon Magazines:While on the topic of staples.  This looks to be an example of them 'bleeding through' the cover?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

-SKA

Damn......And if the seepage is that visible, image what the interior looks like! To quote someone who knows their shit...Hence, why " Shrinkwrap is not a condition"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:51 pm 

:-) :-)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:41 pm 

Why would you buy something in shrink that looks like that? I’d get buying a play or reading copy with some staining, but shrink? Surely you only buy shrink when the item is properly minty fresh and clean??

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:02 pm 

I would imagine the buyer(s) may not be able to see the forest through the trees In this instance.

-SKA