Complete Spelljammer series value?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:48 am 

I was wondering what a complete Spelljammer series is worth. I have all books and boxes available in NM/M condition, except for Greyspace which is VG/EX. I also have the 6 pockets, but they're in G condition.  Reason for asking is that I saw the complete series one on eBay and bidding at that moment was around $250.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:51 am 

Price is something that is up to what the buyer is willing to pay. Some people may go crazy over spelljammer stuff and bid high while others may not want to pay a lot. Check ebay for each separate item to get a clear idea what the average price of each spelljammer module, etc is worth.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:33 am 

I just found this old post. Since I'm a fan of the Spelljammer setting myself, I'd like to give an answer for those interested in the issue. The current value of a complete Spelljammer setting in Europe is 245 € with an addtional 40-50 € for the novels. The Spelljammer comics are easily available for 2-3 € each. All values apply for items in collectable condition only.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:14 am 

Spelljammer prices have plummetted...  ALOT.  I think alot of people bought up Spelljammer stuff hoping that when WotC did Secret of the Spider Moon in Dungeon/Polyhedron, there would be a resurgence and reinterest in the campaign world, and the stuff would immediately go up in value.  In fact, it did the opposite...  nothing released for Spelljammer was rare per se, the Monstrous Compendiums are slightly hard to get ahold of, but not impossibly so.  I think I saw a complete collection go for only $75 about 3 months ago.

Not to mention ESD's of the Spelljammer stuff are out too, which seem to be the kiss of death for quite a few products value-wise.  God knows it killed the value of about 90% of Forgotten Realms stuff.

Of course, I wouldn't put it past somebody to buy up the rights, and re-release the stuff in d20, totally revamped and expanded.  If done right, it could actually be good (IMHO, some of the Spelljammer stuff was the WORST written junk TSR ever spit out...  I mean, the Realmspace sourcebook was essentially "if your party lands on this planet, they will die.").

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:10 pm 

Spelljammer, Ravenlft, Dark Sun, Planescape,  You name it if it is not of the Greyahwk or older items as far as the Commons of the G1,2,3 and A's and other items or Even Forgotten Realms.

It is just not selling, if you have a desire for these items you will find deals galore on Ebay,  If you are seeeking these items though and or are trying to sell them be advised that many of those looking to sell them are unwilling to part with them for the current value ( And I do not blame them for the most part)  If you are looking to buy them you will really have to look for a the items as the reason there are nto large amounts of these items listed is they do nto sell.

If the value of these goes up there will definatly be more people selling them.

Just my observation.

Bruce Thibodeau

(NorthernDuckHunter)

Outdoor Photographer/Writer

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:45 pm 

I agree with everything that Bruce says except in the case of Planescape. Planescape has dropped a bit in value but not near what other D&D campaign worlds have. Many of the items, such as Conflict and Bloodwar boxed sets (regularly sell for over $60) and some of the accessories (inner planes, dead gods, et al), still sell above cover price. I think someone here said that Planescape was easily adapted to third edition and that is why it has maintained its value. Also, it has some of the most interesting artwork.

-PD

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:25 pm 

That and I think Planescape had an "in" to every other campaign world (since it linked them all, but wasn't kind of kooky like Spelljammer), and like others before me have said, it was always the campaign most White Wolf freaks would look at and go "hey, that doesn't look too bad...".  I also agree about it being easily converted to 3E, it also doesn't hurt that Monte Cook and I think Skip Williams, and ALOT of the WotC 3E team wrote almost all of Planescape, and I have to say that frankly, its some of the best written RPG material I've got.  The Dead Gods adventure is absolutely amazing if you can get ahold of it...  it puts the original supermodules to shame in terms of scope and length.  I could see an average group meeting once a week for 6-8 hours at a time taking the better part of a year to complete it.  Add that to some of the other mega-adventures (like Great Modron March and Faction War, which slightly tied together with Dead Gods) and you had a pretty damn epic Planescape campaign.

Half of the reason Hellbound goes for a ton is it too is pretty well written, is really one of 2 suppliments that TSR ever put out to delve totally into the fiends, their history, and how to expand them, and it had one of the coolest (and deadliest) adventures ever put out by TSR:  Squaring the Circle.

Not to mention Tony Diterrlizi doing about 2/3's of the artwork for the campaign meant that it looked alot nicer than just about everything else out there.  So, excellent writing+great playability+ease of 3E adaptation+great art=big $$$.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:21 am 

I agree with you guys on Planescape. It is the subject of the planes itself which is so appealing to gamers. That started in 1E, take a look at the orange spine hardcovers. Which has the highest demand? It's the Manual of the Planes. I also bought this book first, coming from 2E I was very curious about it's contents. I mean, Oriental Adventures is nice, but the Manual of the Planes offered me what I was looking for. (Remember, all information abouth the planes you had in 2E was a little entry in the DM Guide, until Planescape).

Planescape items generally sell nearly always for about or above cover price. You couldn't say that about other campaign (including Greyhawk). Here only special items such as the Kara-Tur box, the FR interactive atlas or the Menzoberranzan box sell for a high price.

A word of advice if you plan to sell Spelljammer items: Sell them in Europe, for example eBay UK. I've noticed an interesting price gap - it was sufficient for me to buy several SJ items from a US seller and even with the high shipping costs I got them a lot cheaper than here.