Rare one of a kinds.  Want your opinions....
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:06 pm 

Hi All-
Moved from the Classified section after the Admin let me know I posted in the wrong place...  

I have boxes and boxes of D&D and AD&D stuff that I'm going to list on ebay.  I was an original gamer from Chicago and have been playing since near day one.  My best friends father was a strategic war gamer who introduced us to it early in Lake Geneva.  

Anyway, its time to start liquidating.  Im 56 and while I still have a love for this, everything is just sitting in boxes for many years.  While most of the items I have are easy to correlate value, I have a few items that are pretty special that I want your opinions on.  These first 3 of these, I bought for a decent penny 10 years ago ish.   Would love to know what you think i should list them at in today's market.  Should I start at a really low price and hope for the best?  Any advice is appreciated.

1. Have 2 First edition, First Printing, First BOX items that were Tim Kask's (TSR Pres) original copies with notarized and signed letters from Mr. Kask explaining the authenticity.    
2. Then I have Robert Kuntz personal copy of Gods Demigods and Heroes, from Robert Kuntz selling through NTRPGCON, signed of course in condition.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:19 am 

You can go lots of different routes here depending on how patient you are.  In my opinion, you get the most money for anything collectible you sell from eBay.  Yes, eBay is quirky and they take about 10% of your profit, but they attract the most buyers by far.  However, in order to get the highest prices you have to list the item accurately, post lots of pictures and have a track record of being a good seller in the past.  In other words, if you have zero or low feedback, you won't get as many bids or get as much interest.  Your feedback is a reflection of your honesty, your ability to pack well, and ship everything in a timely manner among other things.

On eBay you can list with a fixed price or sell by auction.  If you need to sell quickly, then auction is the way to go, and sometimes you actually do better than with a fixed price, especially if your feedback score is good (over a couple hundred).  If you have all the time in the world, then sell by fixed price and start with prices you know are too high and slowly bring them down over time.  There was a Monster Manual signed by Gary Gygax and formerly owned by Andre Norton offered at $12,907.04 on eBay recently.  I suspect someone bought it for half that, but that's still a lot of money.

There are several Facebook auction sites for rpgs.  You can sell items here in the Classifieds section.  Even if you sell on eBay, you'll improve your sales by referring people to those listings with links in the Classifieds section.  I'd mention your listings on other rpg sites too.  But you probably won't maximize your profit through these venues.

Finally, most sellers fail to provide enough information in their listings, especially photos.  You supplied photos better than most people asking for our opinions.  Most folks asking us provide no photos.  However, you still need to describe any (or lack of) smoke smells or mildew smells as photos can not see smells.  It doesn't hurt to also specifically comment on any staple rust if present or not.

This is not an exhaustive list of advice, but it can get you thinking.  Good luck!   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:33 pm 

All good advice benjoshua!  Thank you.  I have a old established ebay account, so all good.   I didnt think about facebook groups though, that is a great idea.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:17 pm 

Cross-posting will get you more eyeballs on your stuff, but direct interested parties to go to your preferred marketplace to buy. Otherwise, you wind up just confusing yourself. Providing a link is a sure way to get them to go.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:52 am 

IMO, you'll get the most eyeballs from those with the $$$ for those items on eBay, and you can post additional photos if you need to in the Classified section and link to your eBay auctions. You can also post on other forums that have collectors sections (Dragonsfoot jumps to mind). Those tend to be more player oriented as opposed to collector oriented, but there are a slew of author/publisher types who frequent those types of forums that do not swing by here too often, and given the Kask connection you peek the interest of someone there with the money to spend but not particularly interested in collecting per se.

Clean clear photos against a neutral background and an accurate description are important, and an explanation as to why, when, where the items were purchased to explain the certificates of authenticity. Try to get an idea before hand of the minimum you want these to sell for, and there is both a list of historic price action on most of the products you'll have here on Acaeum, so you can see the last time a NM copy of something sold and at what price, and the expertise here in both potential buyers and what they would be looking for, and experienced sellers in how best to maximise your chances of a fair and equitable return.

In my experience you want a fair price for a quality product. Don't be greedy or they'll sit on eBay unsold for years, but also don't let them go cheep. Good luck.

PS. What's the avatar from? I don't recognise it, but I feel like I've seen it before.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:34 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Rare one of a kinds.  Want your opinions....:PS. What's the avatar from? I don't recognise it, but I feel like I've seen it before.

I'd say "your bathroom mirror," but that would be too easy.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:16 pm 

:lol:  :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:10 pm 

LOL. more good advice.   Just a creepy version of TOTORO.

scary totoro - Google Search