Condition of 4th edition OD&D box set
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:16 am 

Hi

I am new to all of this and am interested to know how you would grade the condition of my 4th edition OD&D box set.

I have inherited it from my father who bought it in 1975 and it has only been played once or twice. The booklets are in near mint condition apart from the fact that my father has added the errata text in neat ballpoint pen and the occasional bit of tipex. The two centre pages of Men & Magic have come loose from the staples.

However the box itself is in much worse condition with 3 of the 4 corner edges have split and damage to the side and some tape.

How much does the condition of the box effect the value even if the contents is in better condition?

Cheers Mike

P.S. more photos to follow

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by MikeDymond on Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:17 am 

More photos

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:18 am 

final photos

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:51 pm 

MikeDymond wrote in Condition of 4th edition OD&D box set:Hi
I am new to all of this and am interested to know how you would grade the condition of my 4th edition OD&D box set.

The box is in poor condition and the contents are in fine to very good condition overall, going with a Mint, Near Mint, Very Fine, Fine, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor spectrum, in my limited opinion.  Other collectors will likely give other grades, some better and some worse.  However, what I or anyone here states as the grade can not compare to the good variety of photos you have here.  In some ways, it's better when selling to not state a grade and ask buyers to look at all the photos and judge for themselves.  However, it is important to state whether there is smoke and/or mildew smells as those can not be photographed.  Also, sometimes rust on staples can be seen with photos and sometimes not, so disclose that if present.  The reason for the very good grade on the books has a lot to do with the writing and whiteout present, even though there's not a lot of writing.  With no writing they would be at least one grade higher.

And while you didn't ask this, you'd probably get around $300.00 for this set, a little more if you are patient.   I wish you the best.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.