Winnowing the crud, a few rubies in the dust
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:20 pm 

So im culling the duplicates and crud from my collection, im trying to work out the demarcation between whats worth selling and whats worth just giving away to my mates.
I dont want to schlepp to the post office for less than a pony*    (*thats £25 to you septics)

So - can you give me a rough value on the following items.

Or Make an Offer if you like.  Based South London UK.  Will send photos /more details if you tempt me with a vague offer.

1. Excellent condition things that a sane person might actually want  - not collectors mint but nice

Mark Of Amber  
Castle Whiterock
Streets of Gems
Plague of Terror

2 Magazines - varying conditions'

Imagines  20, 21, 23, 25, 26,, 29
White Dwarf  15, 16, 24,30, 34, 36, 37, 55, 59,61, 66,  & all the Bests Ofs

3 Kindling
A complete set of Mayfair City State  

4. Pointless Fantasy heartbreakers
Powers and Perils  + Tower Of The Dead
Lands Of Adventure  , FGU  

5.  A shitload of 2nd ed AD&D crap

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:08 pm 

I suspect few people will make serious offers on any of your items without photos.  Most everyone describes condition differently, so prospective buyers will want to see for themselves the items for sale.  However, photos do not reveal smoke and mildew smells, so you'll have to provide that information.

The best way to appraise many of these items is to see what items have actually sold for recently on eBay.  Make sure you are logged in to eBay, then enter a search query for an item like "Mark of Amber" and then check the little box on the left hand side that says "sold listings."  For me, that gave me quite a few items, only a few of which are sales of items you are selling.  Of course, you have to factor in shipping, condition, completeness and many other factors which can affect a final sales price.  You may notice that very similar items sell for very different prices, so unless there are three or more sales, you still may not know with much confidence of what an item would really sell for.  By using this process, you'll be able to evaluate many of your items for sale.  Then, if there are several items that have you stumped, I'd come back and request more specific advice.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:14 pm 

I can low-ball you @ $10.00 (or 10 pounds or Euros, if you prefer) for the Mark of Amber and Streets of Gems.

:D

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:37 am 

... Hey, i think the Royal Mail is doing a doorstep pickup service for parcels at the moment. I suspect you need to print the label and they'll charge you. But better than schlepping to your local post office :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:58 pm 

Yep that’s correct, I’m a postie
You print your own label and arrange collection. It costs about 70p to have it collected on top of the postage charges

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:31 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in Winnowing the crud, a few rubies in the dust:Yep that’s correct, I’m a postie

Kudos mate! Without my local (excellent) postie I would have gone STARK STARING BONKERS by now with the lockdown. Kept us all going  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:39 am 

Trying to do our bit

Knackered though  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:09 am 

red_bus wrote in Winnowing the crud, a few rubies in the dust:...I would have gone STARK STARING BONKERS by now with the lockdown...

According to recent US Government estimates, the lockdowns may last for seven more years.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:05 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Winnowing the crud, a few rubies in the dust:Trying to do our bit

Knackered though  :lol:

What is the general attitude about handling mail among posties? Are you s concerned about Covid on paper surfaces? Or more the possibility of someone in the depot catching it and passing it around?

I have noticed that when I order something from the China/Japan, it is tracked to London and then sits there for about two weeks before it is released and fed into the RM system. So I presume this as a precaution and not just customs, because what I buy is stationary, and none of it has ever been opened or had import duty applied.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:39 am 

Most guys at our depot are only concerned about catching it and passing it around from each other, but several still won’t believe covid is a thing, refuse to wear masks as it’s their right not to etc etc generally the wankers of the depot

Personally I just use hand sanitizer several times an hour and have a mask when walking around the depot. I’ve also got kidney failure so need to be careful

Re: Chinese items, it’s not a precaution we are aware of. More a case that there’s just so much shit being bought online, the systems we have and the amount of posties we have just can’t cope with it all at the moment. So the things that take priority are next day delivery, then any tracked items (which is around 75% of the items we handle now I’d say in our site). They should all be delivered the day in comes into the depot. However, it could take a week from arriving into a sorting office to getting to a delivery office. So anything from China will go into a sorting office and sit there until there’s the chance and time for it to be done. We found at Xmas those items were 4-6 weeks being processed

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:19 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Winnowing the crud, a few rubies in the dust:Yep that’s correct, I’m a postie

So... The 8th level down is... a PO?!?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:37 am 

Some photos/a list of the 2nd ed ad&d crap would be nice? I like that crap, but already have some piles at home.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:57 am 

aia wrote in Winnowing the crud, a few rubies in the dust:

So... The 8th level down is... a PO?!?

It is a level of hell, yes

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"