Twenty Years of TSR
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:44 pm 

Hi guys

It's many years since I was last here. So long I forgot my password and don't own the web site for my registered email address any more.
So had to make a new profile.

I am currently having to reduce my collection considerably and stumbled across a copy of "Twenty Years of TSR".
TBH I don't ever remember acquiring it, but did get some stuff directly from Rob Kuntz in the early 2000's and bought quite a bit of the TSR library when it was broken up, so may have got it then.

I tried a little research and all I can find is "Twenty Years of TSR" had a print run of 300 and given to TSR employees in 1993.
I can't find any sales history anywhere.

So my question is really does this have any value or am I better to hold on to it?

Thanks for any answers in advance

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:57 am 

One sold on eBay on Aug 22, 2017 for $461.00.  They are quite rare.  Hard to say what one would sell for at the present time.  Probably quite a bit.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:17 am 

Thanks dbartman.
$461 is definitely quite a bit   8O
I would have listed much much lower than that!

Will have to think long and hard about listing.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:56 am 

If the last one to be sold publicly was 2017, then maybe an eager market, however, I used to find pre-Xmas was not a good time due to many having allocated resources elsewhere.
Maybe solicit private offers via the Classifieds here, in case anyone here is particularly interested. You never know.
And if you don't get a bite, maybe list on eBay end of January when people's pay has landed and they're starting to feel the need to feed their hobbies again.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:46 am 

Abbadona wrote in Twenty Years of TSR:Will have to think long and hard about listing.

"A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush."   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:03 am 

If you list it well, as an eBay auction, with a lower starting bid, it will find its maximum price.  You could also try listing it on the Facebook Acaeum group, or other Facebook D&D collecting groups.  Definitely post a link here in the Classifieds to your auction.  I'm not a fan of listing items with a super high BIN.  You might get someone to buy it, but you also might piss off a lot of people.  You could also end up making less money since you would be guessing at the value.  Better to let it go to the highest bidder.  Rarer items tend to find their best price this way.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:40 am 

I’d second that about not listing at high BINs on eBay. A well worded listing with good clear photos has always served me well. I don’t recall ever having used reserve prices either. Good publicity on the forums, honesty and clarity in the listing, good timing when people are not overly concerned about saving their money, and faith that collectors will be collectors and recognise how rarely some items come up for sale should serve you well.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:08 am 

I've disagreed with some on here in recent appraisals specifically with regards to use of BIN for attaining Max Price.

This is the kind of item I'd also agree would be better at auction.

Not that everyone needed to know that lol.

If the OP did hold on to this, I'd say you probably dodged a big bullet w/ all that's going on with the USPS.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:16 am 

I've made this point before in other forums, but maybe it's worth repeating here.  I have listed items for sale on eBay at prices beyond what I thought they'd sell for.  I didn't need to sell them quick, or at all.  I just thought, if someone wants to over pay for something, I'll give them a chance.  For example, I sold a complete set (DL1-16) of Dragonlance modules recently for about $900.00.  I thought they'd never sell, but it only took about two months.  The other reason I list items at high/ridiculous/stupid prices is that these are usually desirable items and they draw attention to my other listings.  I seriously believe that this is part of Noble Knight's strategy for eBay sales.  Of course, I only use free listings so there are no maintenance costs.  My point is, not every eBay listing is for the sole purpose of making a sale.   8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:21 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Twenty Years of TSR:  My point is, not every eBay listing is for the sole purpose of making a sale.   8)

Is it ok if I pm you?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:05 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Twenty Years of TSR:
Is it ok if I pm you?

Sure!   8)