30 sided die book from The Armory
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:06 pm 

I recently came across this 'book' about what I think is The Armory's 30 sided die introduction.  It is 40 pages in length, printed in 1982 and details how the die can be used for D&D and other systems.  I wasn't sure of its rarity or value so I figured I'd throw to the people who would.  I love all the CYA verbiage on the cover about trademarks not sanctioned by the holders.  

Edit: I found a couple on eBay ranging from $8 to $80

-SKA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:02 pm 

Yes....but do you have the dice to back it up?

I have 2.

One is an old school + and - 1 through 10. and one is a 1-30. Don't know which I like better....

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:25 am 

jkason wrote in 30 sided die book from The Armory:Yes....but do you have the dice to back it up?

I have 2.

One is an old school + and - 1 through 10. and one is a 1-30. Don't know which I like better....

It was also reprinted....

And they also put out Character and Adventure to push their 30 sided dice....
ImageImage

The Armoury were the main proponent of the 30 sided dice. I didn't know they had one at 3d10. Any chance of a photo or two? :D. I believe I have one d30, but I may be wrong. I might not have one at all.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:31 am 

The introductory book is more fun to read than use in a game. They include all sorts of marginally relevant game stats like determining the height of a dwarf, but there are also line-drawing illustrations of minis.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:22 am 

sauromatian wrote in 30 sided die book from The Armory:The [snip] book is more fun to read than use in a game.

I tend to find that with almost everything I read TBH.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:52 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in 30 sided die book from The Armory:The Armoury were the main proponent of the 30 sided dice. I didn't know they had one at 3d10. Any chance of a photo or two? :D. I believe I have one d30, but I may be wrong. I might not have one at all.

I'll see what I can do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:45 pm 

Here they are - I had 3. Only one of them was a 1-30.

Attachment:
1.jpg

Attachment:
2.jpg

Attachment:
3.jpg

Sorry for the phone pics.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:41 am 

:D  Thanks.
They very much look like the old style cast dice. I think mine (can't lay my hands on it right now) has more rounded corner and pre-inked numbers, so a much more modern d30 (and numbered 1-30). I wasn't aware of the 3d10 d30 option. But the d30 in dark amber (toffee?) is really cool.

This is the one I have. I assumed it was from the Armory as it came with a couple of blistered packs of dice still on Armory card hangers, and a couple of the Armory books, but it looks like the kind of dice you buy from a jar, so it could probably have come from anyone producing late 80's poly dice. The presence of the copyright symbol is curious. Does anyone know if The Armory tried to copyright the d30?

I also have an old d16 that I think comes from Lou Zouchi, but I I don't know and haven't seen any old soft plastic d16s before.