Odd lot of bits...
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:13 am 

Can anyone tell me more about these items?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... RK:MEWN:IT

I know about the High Fantasy first edition books. That's why I bout this lot. I know there's a scrappy Tegel book in there by the looks of it, and of course Badabaskar.

Can anyone tell me anything about the magazine? Snow Crystal? or the D&D Painting Guide?

Also, can anyone tell whether that's Reference book I from CSIO, or the other one. I don't have the other one, and don't even know what it's called. That looks like a blank Thunderhold map I think.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:23 am 

The painting guide was included in some collections of AD&D miniatures, as I recall - I think I have a pair tucked away somewhere.

The Ares magazine was the SPI house magazine, if I remember well. It included a complete boardgame in every issue.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:49 am 

rosenkav wrote:The Ares magazine was the SPI house magazine, if I remember well. It included a complete boardgame in every issue.

I don't know anything about SPI. Is it a magazine covering D&D or space gaming?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:59 am 

SPI was the acronyme for Simulations Publications Inc, and it was the alternative to Avalon Hill for "serious" wargaming - e.g. napoleonics, world war II etc.

They went into forays of fantasy and science fiction, publishing some good boardgames about them, but their roots were strictly in straight wargaming, not wacko role playing.  :lol:

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:25 am 

Ok, here we are.

I did a little research in my old musty shelves, and I dug out a copy of the Dragonquest RPG, edited then by SPI. Inside there's a promotional leaflet detailing their offers in magazines.

There were three different: Strategy and Tactics, devoted to conflict simulation; Moves, dedicated to gamers all-around; and Ares, devoted to science fiction and fantasy simulation (their own, that is).

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:34 am 

rosenkav wrote:Ok, here we are.

I did a little research in my old musty shelves, and I dug out a copy of the Dragonquest RPG, edited then by SPI. Inside there's a promotional leaflet detailing their offers in magazines.

There were three different: Strategy and Tactics, devoted to conflict simulation; Moves, dedicated to gamers all-around; and Ares, devoted to science fiction and fantasy simulation (their own, that is).

Great. Well I won't have much use for that then. :(  I guess I'll be putting that one back on eBay.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:50 pm 

There is a TSR link though.... in the early eighties TSR bought out SPI, and published Ares for a bit.

Ares was a pretty good magazine I thought... I only have a couple of issues but it's on the 'must get more of' list.

Regards

Mike

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:05 pm 

mdr003 wrote:in the early eighties TSR bought out SPI, and published Ares for a bit.

... before giving up on expensive slick paper/game-included magazines altogether and moving Ares into an "Ares Section" of Dragon Magazine. Which pretty quickly become a repository for "random articles on superhero RPGs" before it, too, was relegated to The Dustbin Of History (TM).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:00 am 

Sadly. From a wargamer point of view, those magazines were really top notch, especially for the time being. Very superior to any WD # 12 I have seen recently ... LMAO

YIM