Wizard's Aide
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:46 am 

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have some idea as to the value of a older item called Wizard's Aide. Below is a link to in formation on the item and the copied information from the link. I am not sure of the printing.

http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/af ... others_lz/

http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/af ... y_aide.jpg

Whalley, Matt

Another odd book. It is titled "Wizard's Aide" and was released in 1977. It was supposed to enhance the D&D rules system like the Arduin Grimoire that was released at the same time. This one is probably worth more as a Collectible than as a playing aid. Take a look at the cover if you like.

I am very happy that Mr. Whalley actually took the time to answer a few questions via e-mail, reproduced below. Thank you very much!

Was the Wizard's Aide the only book you wrote in the RPG field?

It was the only one I had published, I've created quite a number of adventures and different campaigns. As well as my own rule system and variants on existing ones. I have mountains of notes stacked up in boxes.

My copy shows two copyright dates - were there two printings of the book?

Yes first printing was 1000 copies. The second printing was 1100 copies, cleared up some of the typos and clarified some points. Same art and layout in each case.

Did you write for fanzines, and if so, which ones?

I made very minor contributions to Alarums & Excursions. in about 1977, 1978. Nothing very notable.

Are you still active in the gaming business - working there, or only gaming?

Only gaming. I make my living in the computer business. I still game at least once per week, down a bit from my 3 day a week habit.

Are you in contact with any other people who contributed to the hobby in the 1970s?

My main contacts in the 1970s were with Dave Hargrave, who of course is now sadly deceased. Also I was in contact with some of the members of Midkemia games.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:21 am 

Hard to say, Marlith. I have both printings, and I don't think either one went for much, but I got them quite a while ago.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:53 am 

I can pick it up for $15. Is that a fair amount?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:49 pm 

Depending on condition, I would do it. It's no Dwarven Glory, but it isn't exactly common.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:46 pm 

It comes up now and again... I got a copy for $5, from Whalley himself no less. Like all items, if you're prepared to wait you'll get it for less than $15 eventually, or you could pay the fifteen and get it now.

Regards

Mike

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:42 pm 

I hate to dig up this old thread, but I'm trying to get in contact with Matt Whalley. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Brett M. Bernstein
Precis Intermedia

Last edited by brettmb on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:36 pm 

I’m sorry can’t help with that request,

Just wanted to chime in that I for one enjoy seeing an old thread pop up now and again - fun to read posts from old time members and re-learn long forgotten trivia :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:13 pm 

Just the idea that someone might have used search warms my heart.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games