Need Help (not psychological)
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:36 pm 

I have a chance to pick up what appears to be an R4 prepub, but it is not like the previous 3 in appearance. I'm not sure exactly WHAT it is. I do not doubt its authenticity, I am 100% sure it is not a fake. I have a scan of the first page (which is numbered 1). Any help would be appreciated!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:49 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I have a chance to pick up what appears to be an R4 prepub, but it is not like the previous 3 in appearance. I'm not sure exactly WHAT it is. I do not doubt its authenticity, I am 100% sure it is not a fake. I have a scan of the first page (which is numbered 1). Any help would be appreciated!

Just send it to me for validation!! 8)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:20 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I have a chance to pick up what appears to be an R4 prepub, but it is not like the previous 3 in appearance. I'm not sure exactly WHAT it is. I do not doubt its authenticity, I am 100% sure it is not a fake. I have a scan of the first page (which is numbered 1). Any help would be appreciated!

Just on the surface that sounds feasible, Frank.

Reads like those R1-3 pre-pubs were sold like a limited edition, whereas the R4 would be "tourney only".

(Does that beg the question as to whether there are also "tourney" versions of R1-3??).

Will be interesting to hear what "those in the know" make of this... :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:47 am 

harami2000 wrote:

Just on the surface that sounds feasible, Frank.

Reads like those R1-3 pre-pubs were sold like a limited edition, whereas the R4 would be "tourney only".

(Does that beg the question as to whether there are also "tourney" versions of R1-3??).

Will be interesting to hear what "those in the know" make of this... :)

I thought the author perused these forums from time to time...maybe someone should put in a call.  :wink: Depending on price, of course, I'd jump on it, Deadlord36.

YIM  

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:54 pm 

The author is Frank Mentzer, and he can be reached at [email protected].  I believe he's stated before that a pre-pub of R4 was never made, but still... you never know.  Can't hurt to ask.

It's quite possible that the actual copies used at tournaments are still floating around, and they may be different from the pre-pub copies.  Perhaps that's what this R4 is.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:07 am 

FoulFoot wrote:The author is Frank Mentzer, and he can be reached at [email protected]. I believe he's stated before that a pre-pub of R4 was never made, but still... you never know. Can't hurt to ask.

It's quite possible that the actual copies used at tournaments are still floating around, and they may be different from the pre-pub copies. Perhaps that's what this R4 is.

Foul

Thanks for the info, Foul.

Perhaps my mental definition of "pre-pub" is different than most, but how would that even be possible?   8O  A publication has to be based on something...if there is an R4, there must be a pre-pub R4 in some form.  Somewhere out there is a "pre-pub" B2...but in that case its probably destroyed by now.

As Mr. Mentzer has stated that one was never made, the fact that this one looks different than the other three actually makes it more feasible, in my opinion, that it is the real deal.  Perhaps it is unique?

YIM  

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:52 pm 

A "pre-pub" is usually a final draft release, that is produced in small quantities for a select group of playtesters or reviewers to look over and provide feedback on the item prior to publication for sale. A pre-pub can be rather crude but some are quite professional. Some of them never reach the public but are reviewed by personnel in the company only. Usually pre-pubs are not sold and some must be returned after the reviewer has completed their task. Of course sometimes they aren't returned and wind up in collections or for sale on eBay...

An original manuscript, and copies, edited or not, are usually not considered pre-publications since they are not dispersed and scrutinized by an evaluation group.

It appears that Frank Mentzer never released R4 in the pre-pub manner but he, or someone else, might have the original manuscript, and any copies made for editing, internal playtesting, or tourneys. It would be interesting to see what Frank could add to this topic.