4th Edition White Box
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:01 pm 

Hello!  I have an original D&D white box, 4th edition.  The box is a bit banged up, with some dents, but the books are all in excellent condition (only a tiny bit of staple rust, otherwise pristine).  I have the reference sheets, but they do not have the cover shown, the one that says "REFERENCE SHEETS."  The front page starts with errata, and has a lizard man logo at the bottom.  

My question is, how does the box damage affect the worth?  

I am hoping to get a good-but-fair price for this (the economic situation is encouraging me to look for other sources of income).  

Thanks very much for your help!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:36 pm 

aporco wrote in 4th Edition White Box:Hello!  I have an original D&D white box, 4th edition.  The box is a bit banged up, with some dents, but the books are all in excellent condition (only a tiny bit of staple rust, otherwise pristine).  I have the reference sheets, but they do not have the cover shown, the one that says "REFERENCE SHEETS."  The front page starts with errata, and has a lizard man logo at the bottom.  

My question is, how does the box damage affect the worth?  

I am hoping to get a good-but-fair price for this (the economic situation is encouraging me to look for other sources of income).  

Thanks very much for your help!

Pictures help us more accurately determine value. The set with no box is worth around $100 and a set with a minty box can be worth $500.00 or more, so the box quality makes a big difference.   You can see the price difference for yourself by looking at "SOLD" prices on eBay.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:15 pm 

Thanks!  I'll post pictures.  I know about Ebay, but I was hoping to get estimates from more than one source.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:47 am 

Photos of box top and bottom, as well as the books. Thanks again!

Attachment:
9D7643DD-3037-45A3-8FA9-315262A623BD.jpeg

Attachment:
DDF98C71-E466-400B-A244-349525D0AB6B.jpeg

Attachment:
1D2FD491-3BC1-4E94-8F66-AD6DB870435D.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:03 pm 

The box is not that bad in shape... I've seen worse...

Start at the $250 - $300 range.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:51 pm 

It does appear to be a 4th print.  About 5000 of those were produced, so it's pretty rare.

Looking at the condition, and The Acaeum valuations, it could sell for around $450-500, perhaps more if you get a couple of committed bidders.

You should list it for less, as Invincible Overlord suggested, and it will probably attract more interest and bids that way.  These box sets tend to find their maximum price on eBay no matter what the starting price.  Definitely have lots of pictures and make sure you list the printing.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:01 pm 

Thanks, belatedly, for your help!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:53 pm 

dbartman wrote in 4th Edition White Box:It does appear to be a 4th print.  About 5000 of those were produced, so it's pretty rare.

Looking at the condition, and The Acaeum valuations, it could sell for around $450-500, perhaps more if you get a couple of committed bidders.

You should list it for less, as Invincible Overlord suggested, and it will probably attract more interest and bids that way.  These box sets tend to find their maximum price on eBay no matter what the starting price.  Definitely have lots of pictures and make sure you list the printing.

Ditto.  And I'd recommend listing it sooner rather than later.  I don't know about everyone else, but my eBay sales have definitely picked up.  Maybe it's the stimulus checks, or everyone is staying home and buying stuff on-line, or who knows?   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 pm 

From a buyers side I have noticed more “competition” lately on eBay, and while I have been buying more miniatures than paper lately I have seen blisters that  would normally be $4-5 going for $10-12 in the last few weeks.  I too was guessing that more people are home and bored so prices and activity have gone up.   If true I could see that changing if the economy struggles.   Probably meat for a different t thread but curious what others observations are like

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:39 pm 

Thanks for your comments and suggestions as well!