Authentic Thaumaturgy, 1978 Chaosium, 1st Print
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:44 am 

My copy is in RUFF RUFF RUFF condition.  I would give it a solid FAIR but that's my opinion

Cover detached, held together with tape, staining front and rear, no writing inside, no ripped missing loose pages, staple rust

Is it even worth it to bother trying to sell it? Approximate value??

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:05 pm 

Sure somebody would still want it. Somebody might pay 10-15 bucks for it. But as a side note, if that's not in poor condition (based on your description) what is? Did it need to be written in as well? ;-)

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:14 pm 

But, But, people are always asking me about writing inside everything!

It is a POOR going by the guidelines here. But I've always felt they were too strict, but that's my opinion.

I started collecting comics long before gaming items and Overstreet has always been my goto when grading any type of Print item.

But again, just my opinion.

I think I'll shoot for the international market, someone, somewhere might want it more across the pond then here

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:24 pm 

I bought a real nice one 2 years ago for $65.00!!

A porr copy would still fetch $20+ though I bet, it is not common

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:27 pm 

Personally I think the guidelines here are much too loose, about one grade too high on average. But that's my .02
So via Overstreet, if the cover is off and the item is only together because of tape AND there is staining, that's still Fair? Wow.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:56 am 

Cover off and staining/rust is Poor in my book (pun intended).
Many times the MINT/NM/VG/etc. guidelines are blended. You can have a book that is in Mint shape externally but has two pages torn out and loose, or a minty interior and a dog-pissed cover. Just list the defects and let the buyer decide. Myself, I'd pay $10 for it because I'd read it and I don't collect anymore, but not many serious collectors would pay more than that, and they'd only buy it as a placeholder until a better copy came along.
Check the index and see if Boner listed the details for a Repair Book ritual.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:18 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Authentic Thaumaturgy, 1978 Chaosium, 1st Print:Personally I think the guidelines here are much too loose, about one grade too high on average. But that's my .02
So via Overstreet, if the cover is off and the item is only together because of tape AND there is staining, that's still Fair? Wow.

YEP

1.0 FAIR (FR): A copy in this grade shows heavy wear. Some collectors consider this the lowest collectible grade because comic books in lesser condition are usually incomplete and/or brittle.

Comics in this grade are usually soiled, faded, ragged and possibly unattractive. Cover may be detached, and inks have lost all reflectivity. Creases, tears and/or folds are prevalent. Corners are commonly rounded or absent. Soiling and staining is present.

Books in this condition generally have all pages and most of the covers, although there may be up to 1/4 of the front cover missing or no back cover, but not both. Tape and other forms of amateur repair are more common. Spine roll is more common; spine split can extend up to 2/3 the length of the book. Staples may be missing or show rust and discoloration. An accumulation of staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as rust migration.

Paper is (no worse than) brown and may show brittleness around the edges but not in the central portion of the pages. Acidic odor may be present. Accumulation of interior tears. Chunks may be missing. The centerfold may be missing if readability is generally preserved. Coupons may be cut.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:56 pm 

I value the 1st printing of AT in that condition at $10.

Regards,

Rick Meints
President - Chaosium Inc.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:22 pm 

Sold today. In less than 24 Hours after listing it as POOR/FAIR for..........$$50

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:09 am 

Congratulations!
I'm glad you didn't listen to my estimate and not list it :-)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:24 pm 

P.T. Barnum strikes again.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.