New collector's ADnD finds
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm 

I've just recently gotten into collecting some of the older DnD books and found this website which is a great resource. I've found two books in particular so far. A double signed 1st/1st of Deities and Demigods and a true first edition PHB. I think I've identified everything, but wanted to make sure so I've included all the relevant pictures. Paid $50 and $30 respectively which seems decent, but I know condition matters a lot and both have seen their fair use especially the PBH. Overall they're pretty decent, just a lot of scuffing on the covers. The PBH has all the reference sheets in the back. I've included a link to an image gallery: https://imgur.com/a/9v2bB0r

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:15 pm 

Very nice!

Once you've started, it's hard to stop.  It's just too much fun.

Welcome to The Acaeum!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:06 am 

That's a good price on the D&D, excellent price on the PHB, IMO.

Both have quite a bit of cover wear, I would grade them as Good without seeing them beyond the pictures. IMO, the signatures don't materially affect the value one way or the other in this case.

Welcome to the site.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:38 am 

Thanks for having me.

That's more or less the conclusion I came to, so it's nice to have it verified. My local used bookstore just got 2 collections in and I've been picking through it all. Up till now I've mainly just collected Planescape stuff so I've had to do a lot research. That lot also included a first printing DMG inscribed by Gygax, but they priced that at $600 which seems excessive. The one other interesting item was a first edition City State of the Invincible Overlord for $75. Seemed more or less complete, with the pink mailing card and all. How good of a price would folks say that is? There's little recent eBay history to go off.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:03 am 

Piffy wrote in New collector's ADnD finds:Thanks for having me.

That's more or less the conclusion I came to, so it's nice to have it verified. My local used bookstore just got 2 collections in and I've been picking through it all. Up till now I've mainly just collected Planescape stuff so I've had to do a lot research. That lot also included a first printing DMG inscribed by Gygax, but they priced that at $600 which seems excessive. The one other interesting item was a first edition City State of the Invincible Overlord for $75. Seemed more or less complete, with the pink mailing card and all. How good of a price would folks say that is? There's little recent eBay history to go off.

I think that is a semi-ridiculous price for the DMG, they are charging a premium for the signature. Not sure about CSIO, but that seems like a decent price - check out the Judge's Guild subweb elsewhere on this site, there is more information on printings and what it includes, etc. Based on pricing info there, $75 would be pretty good, condition depending.