2e MM Sea Lion Art
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:53 am 

Any idea of value on an original art piece, Sea Lion, as shown in the 2nd edition monster manual, copyright 1993, page 310.

At the top right of the art is handwritten in blue "Felix Comics, Inc." and under that, "Global Comics Inc." There is a partial address and phone number, 201 area code indicates New Jersey. I found that Felix Comics was based in NJ and was a publisher that ran from 1992 - 2005.

This appears to be only the top left quadrant of the full page art, judging by how the blue margin lines meet and a small "4" in the lower right corner. There are also a few ink drips on the page, near the name Sea Lion in the top right corner, which appear to be same coloring used on the sea lion itself, perhaps water color drips?

There is also a 74% in the bottom right. Holding this against the MM print, just eyeballing it side-by-side, it does look like the book print is 3/4 scale of this piece.

I have three other pieces from this MM, but this is the only one with the publisher information right on there.

It's not signed, but the book credits state "Dave Simons (pencils, inks, and colors on normal animals, almost normal animals, and squishy things)"

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:55 am 

I found this page about the potential artist... DAVE SIMONS OFFICIAL WEB-SITE  and reached out to the proprietor for more information.