Value my 5th print set
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:51 am 

Hi, all! New to the forums and looking to solicit valuation opinions!

I'm not necessarily looking to sell this right now, but I am interested in what you all think the collector's value might be for my 5th print set with all 5 supplements and a first-print (saddle-stitched) 3rd edition Chainmail. The values on the front page no longer seem to match current market values, and I just like to know what I'm sitting on.

Anyway, it's a 5th print set, in what I'd call F to VF condition. The Gods, Demi-Gods, and Heroes booklet is signed by Jim Ward. An interesting note about it: the Underworld and Wilderness Adventures book has only one spine staple--that is, it has only EVER had one spine staple. There's not even a hole where  a staple may have fallen out. I'm not sure if this affects the value as a misprint, if I should leave it as is, or put a second staple in the spine (I own a booklet stapler). I'm inclined to just leave it as-is because I know any changes can affect the value downward, and it seems sturdy enough with just the one staple.

On the Chainmail book, the silver has worn off the spine, but the spine itself is still quite solid.

Here's a Google photo album of the set. Any ideas, opinions, and thoughts are appreciated. I'm seeing OD&D sets on eBay with prices all over the damn map, from immaculate OCE prints for $600 to ones that are completely beat to hell and the seller is asking over a grand for them (which I think is nuts). Even the "Sold" auctions seem to be all over the map. Thanks for your input!

OD&D 5th Print - Google Photos

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:05 pm 

Hi, nice books & welcome to the forum!

I'd say $300-$350 for the box set, $200 for chainmail, $200 for the supps on a fairly short duration p2p forum sale.

You'd probably get more with a higher BIN and patience but eBay and PayPal take like 20%.

I'd sell them as is, i.e. don't add a staple.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:21 pm 

Those prices are pretty close to The Acaeum valuations.

Item                                                                                Rarity        Fair                Good                VGood        Fine                VFine        NMint
Original D&D Set (white box, 5th prt)                                3                89                161                214                268                321                357
Chainmail (TSR, 3rd Edition)                                        3                30                54                72                91                109                121
Greyhawk: Supplement I (2nd-12th prt)                        3                14                26                34                43                52                57
Blackmoor: Supplement II (2nd-9th prt)                        3                15                27                36                45                54                60
Eldritch Wizardry: Supplement III (2nd-9th prt)                3                14                26                34                43                52                57
Gods, Demi-Gods, & Heroes: Supp IV (2nd-8th prt)        3                13                23                30                38                45                50
Swords & Spells (2nd-6th prt)                                        3                12                22                30                37                45                50

Based on these valuations, and your pictures I would value them as follows:

Original D&D Set (white box, 5th prt)                                321
Chainmail (TSR, 3rd Edition)                                        150 (higher than the current $109 valuation because it is a first print)
Greyhawk: Supplement I (2nd-12th prt)                        52
Blackmoor: Supplement II (2nd-9th prt)                        54
Eldritch Wizardry: Supplement III (2nd-9th prt)                52
Gods, Demi-Gods, & Heroes: Supp IV (2nd-8th prt)        70 (FN, but autographed)
Swords & Spells (2nd-6th prt)                                        45

Total value at auction: $744, give or take.  Sale price could vary, as Thunderdave mentioned, depending on where they are listed, whether you do a higher BIN, and how badly someone wants them.  The autographed Gods, Demi-Gods, & Heroes could go for more too, as autographed items are a bit of a wildcard, similar to SW.

Just so you are aware, The Acaeum valuations are based on eBay, convention, and most recently, some Facebook auction sales, not private or straight sales, which can go for much higher, or sometimes lower prices.

The valuations are based on historical sales, thus they are tempered by past valuations.  This evens out short-term fluctuations in prices, which are trending higher for most items at the present time.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:23 pm 

Thanks for the breakdown and explanation! Yeah, eBay prices currently seem WAY higher in some cases than Acaeum valuations, though moreso on the "asking" end than the "sold" end. I'll be interested to see if people actually manage to sell beat up old copies of the OCE printing for $900, or if they'll just sit for months, relisted time and again. The $11,000 Fair condition woodgrain boxes are also distressing and, I fear, indicative of a deliberate effort to manipulate and fleece the collector's community.

In any case, those numbers are around what I figured--I just thought it'd be good to check with the "experts" over here to confirm! Thanks again!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 am 

thegreyelf wrote in Value my 5th print set:The $11,000 Fair condition woodgrain boxes are also distressing and, I fear, indicative of a deliberate effort to manipulate and fleece the collector's community.

Prices like that begin to approach those of woodie station wagons:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

The phenomenon is known to dungeon economists as an inverted woodie curve, possibly signaling unsustainable growth.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:38 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Value my 5th print set:The phenomenon is known to dungeon economists as an inverted woodie curve, possibly signaling unsustainable growth.
  :lol:

Acaeum prices are good here I reckon - I have bought a couple of nice condition white boxes recently; at around 300USD (or a wee bit more).

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!