appraisal original artwork clyde caldwell
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:40 pm 

Greetings All, I am a retired gamer of over thirty years. Fresh out of high school, my friends and I would attend Gencon every year when it was in Milwaukee. It was in the late 80's when we met Clyde Caldwell in a booth displaying his fantastic art. Off to the side he was selling sketch work which was used in the book "Saga of Old City" by Gary Gygax. One of my friends purchased a sketch of a cool dagger, another friend a scroll. I spent a little more and purchased a drawing of Gord wielding sword and dagger, standing over a fallen warrior with axe on ground. I am selling a part of my collection, but have no idea what this is worth now. I probably paid between $30-$50 for this back then. Mr. Caldwell was nice enough to sign it as well. Any idea what I should ask for it now? The plastic overlay is wrinkled, but the artwork is flawless.

All input welcome, Carach

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:08 am 

Carach Angren wrote in appraisal original artwork clyde caldwell:Greetings All, I am a retired gamer of over thirty years. Fresh out of high school, my friends and I would attend Gencon every year when it was in Milwaukee. It was in the late 80's when we met Clyde Caldwell in a booth displaying his fantastic art. Off to the side he was selling sketch work which was used in the book "Saga of Old City" by Gary Gygax. One of my friends purchased a sketch of a cool dagger, another friend a scroll. I spent a little more and purchased a drawing of Gord wielding sword and dagger, standing over a fallen warrior with axe on ground. I am selling a part of my collection, but have no idea what this is worth now. I probably paid between $30-$50 for this back then. Mr. Caldwell was nice enough to sign it as well. Any idea what I should ask for it now? The plastic overlay is wrinkled, but the artwork is flawless.

All input welcome, Carach

What are the dimensions of the artwork?

Based on the drawings listed for sale on his web-site, they range from $250 to $500 based on size and complexity.

Original Drawings -- Clyde Caldwell Online

Based on its age, and back story(and if it's the size I think it is), I'd think it would be worth around $400.00, especially if you provided a Certificate of Authenticity, but I'd be the first to tell you I am no art expert.  I'd get a few more opinions.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:06 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know about that webpage. The backer board is 9" x 13"  but leaves a 2" border on all sides of the drawing. I am attempting to contact the artist now to acquire authentication.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:39 pm 

Any updates?  I would definitely be interested in the pieces :D

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:53 pm 

Update: Mr. Caldwell was gracious enough to send me a letter of authenticity, and was happy to see the drawing again. It has gotten interest from many people and gathered offers FAR beyond what I thought it was worth. I've had it professionally framed and believe I will hold onto it for now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.