TSR D&D 1001 Basic Set (Four+, I think?), unopened dice
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:40 pm 

Hello!

A while ago I purchased a "used" copy of the TSR 1001 second edition D&D Basic Set with the intent of actually playing at some point and not realizing at the time it might be a collector's item. I just discovered this yesterday after pulling it off the shelf and wanted to get opinions on condition and valuation from people more knowledgeable than myself since prices online for these sets seems to be all over the place. Overall it seems to be in very good condition. No writing in the books and the pages are uncreased. It seems like it may have never been played, as the dice bag is still sealed.

I think it is a four+ edition, but was wondering if that can be confirmed, as the description on this site describes a pricelist on the back of the rulebook, but the book I have does not have a price list.

There is a very small tear at the bottom of the map and one corner of the box top is split.

Here is a link to images on Google drive, they were too large to upload here. TSR D&D Basic Set 1001 - Google Photos

If anyone is able to provide insight I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

- Tim

P.S. I'm also curious - are the dice in these sets hand painted? The coloring of the numbers looks set by hand as far as I can tell through the bag.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:20 pm 

If you search for "d&d original dice" under sold ebay listings, you'll see that some sets of the dice in nice condition that have sold recently, including one for $130, and one in the original bag for $145 that did not. The dice were probably inked by hand by someone in Hong Kong using a pen. The rest of the lot is worth less than the dice I would think. This set, unsold at $150, might be a good comp:  
** expired eBay auction **

Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:53 am 

Thanks @grubbiv, I guess it's a good thing I didn't open everything up when I bought it!  That does look like a pretty good comp, thanks.  Is ebay the generally recommended place for selling these sets (if I do)?

Cheers,
-tubs