lp331518's Appraisal Megathread
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:55 pm 

Hello everyone,

as anticipated in the general forum, I'm creating this thread because I've decided to sell my collection of oldish (1980s-1990s) DnD-ADnD material, and I'm in need of someone who seriously appraises the items.
Nothing here is really old or valuable, but looking on ebay I've seen that some boxed sets command a nice price, and I want to be sure of what I'm going to offer, and that the price is correct.

Thank you in advance,

L.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:05 pm 

TSR 2600 - Planescape Campaign Setting boxed set

Not shrinkwrapped, no trace of mold, no writings on the pages, maps without holes in the folds, original TSR/RPGA leaflets inside.
Pics of front box, back box, contents:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:30 pm 

The set looks good and your pictures are fine.  You don't mention smoke smells, and when you list it, I recommend you provide that information.

What I did is simply enter the item name, "Planescape D&D boxed set" in the eBay search box, click search, and then click on "sold" items check-box on the left-hand side of the page.  Up came about twenty or so Planescape boxed sets that have sold over the past ninety days.  Some sold for over $150 and some sold for less than $25!  Study those sales.  You'll begin to notice that informative listings by established sellers of high quality items generally sold for the most and sloppy listings by sellers with poor reputations generally sold for the least.  You also notice some sales that make no sense because they sold for too much or too little relative to other similar sales, but overall there is a pattern which will emerge.  There are many variables.  Learning what works best and what doesn't takes a little time to learn but no special training.

So, with the kind of items you are selling, not the uber rare stuff, you can find out the value of items on your own.  Asking us to do something that you can do yourself is not what we're about here.  Do some homework.   You got this!  You'll be better off in the end and know without a doubt that you sold your stuff for a fair price and maybe better!   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:42 am 

Hey benjoshua,

Thanks for the info! I haven't ever sold an item on ebay, so every bit of advice is useful.
I think my main problem would be that, having no past sales, I have no positive feedback, and this would be detrimental of interest by many potential buyers.
To understand more clearly the site's ratings, how would you rate the above set? In my opinion, and compared to other sets listed on ebay, the condition is very close to Near Mint, but I'd love a second opinion.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:52 pm 

lp331518 wrote in lp331518's Appraisal Megathread: In my opinion, and compared to other sets listed on ebay, the condition is very close to Near Mint, but I'd love a second opinion.

You can say near mint, but your pictures are what buyers value more than most any statement you make.  Lots of eBay sellers lie.  But pictures reveal a lot.  Feedback scores also reveal a lot.  I'd post at least six pictures.  Look at how other sellers arrange their items in photos.  Some are good and some are not.

The things pictures can't show are smoke or pet smells and sometimes mold and mildew.  You definitely need to comment on those two things.  Sometimes buyers want to know if there is any staple rust.  Either show some pictures or comment on that.  They want to know if there are any rips, tears or if anything is cut out.  State whether the item/set is complete or not.  Again, study the listings and notice what other sellers say or don't say.  You may suffer some from not being an experienced seller with a track record of feedback, but you have to start somewhere.  You can ask someone with good feedback to sell it, but they'll take a percentage unless they're a good friend.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:01 pm 

But please don't write the following "Would be near mint except for the following flaw". Several sellers use this disreputable tactic to both boost their auction while leaving themselves a loophole.

Shrink is not a condition

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:11 am 

stratochamp wrote in lp331518's Appraisal Megathread:But please don't write the following "Would be near mint except for the following flaw". Several sellers use this disreputable tactic to both boost their auction while leaving themselves a loophole.

Seems like a win-win if it works!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:20 am 

Boxed Set

$80 - $90

Next....

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord