B Series Values
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:49 pm 

I've written a app to pull down all of the completed auctions from eBay for various searches and store them in a database.  I then review each listing to determine condition, print, etc.  I'm NO expert at grading, but after going through hundreds of these I hope to at least be pretty consistent.  This represents the past 3 months of completed (sold) auctions on eBay.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:30 pm 

You probably want to make the distinction between "Mint in Shrink" and "Mint" out of shrink - there is a big difference between the two.

Also, just spot checking a few - the prices seem fairly similar to the "estimated values" posted on the Acaeum.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:30 pm 

Good stuff. Not sure if you have seen but have you noticed valuation differences betweens printings?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:25 am 

I think you can run into a lot of problems using eBay solds as definite values.

Seller states the item is complete, or unwritten in, etc. and it's not. If the buyer doesn't return the item for a refund or a partial refund, is that really the value of the item in it's particular condition?
Speaking of partial refunds, they don't show up in the sold price. I think they reflect just a small minority of the amount of items sold but I've gotten a few over the years.

What if the item is damaged in the mail? You may have paid $20 for a B-whatever in VF condition, but if it didn't get to you in that condition and you didn't get a partial refund. You didn't pay $20 for a VF book, you paid $20 for a book in whatever condition it came to you as.

Something too that I think gets missed a lot. The value of how a Seller sells. Some are better at it than others. Some are just bolder. I don't think averaging really helps a lot if you are looking for systems you can incorporate to help you in your buying. If you spend your time looking for the tricks to get the most out of your money, you'll ultimately benefit more. If your time is extremely valuable, you'll want to find the "best" sellers and wait for them to sell the item you want.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:31 am 

brute wrote in B Series Values:Good stuff. Not sure if you have seen but have you noticed valuation differences between printings?

I don't look at a ton of them, but what I do notice can really be a crap shoot. To me, the decisions a seller makes in how they work their listings matters most in how much money they get for an item.

Where I do see variations in printings matter much more is in the RPG Auctions Facebook Group.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:41 am 

Mister Yuk wrote in B Series Values:I think you can run into a lot of problems using eBay solds as definite values.

Seller states the item is complete, or unwritten in, etc. and it's not. If the buyer doesn't return the item for a refund or a partial refund, is that really the value of the item in it's particular condition?
Speaking of partial refunds, they don't show up in the sold price. I think they reflect just a small minority of the amount of items sold but I've gotten a few over the years.

What if the item is damaged in the mail? You may have paid $20 for a B-whatever in VF condition, but if it didn't get to you in that condition and you didn't get a partial refund. You didn't pay $20 for a VF book, you paid $20 for a book in whatever condition it came to you as.

Something too that I think gets missed a lot. The value of how a Seller sells. Some are better at it than others. Some are just bolder. I don't think averaging really helps a lot if you are looking for systems you can incorporate to help you in your buying. If you spend your time looking for the tricks to get the most out of your money, you'll ultimately benefit more. If your time is extremely valuable, you'll want to find the "best" sellers and wait for them to sell the item you want.

I agree with all of the above, as it pertains to "actual" or "definite" values, but I believe the information that Mick is providing us with is "Advertised" value. In other words, if a module were represented as Near Mint and there was no visual evidence to dispel that condition, then the bidders would bid accordingly. If the module received had highlighting, writing, underlining, missing pages, and coloring done to it that would not matter, as all we can go on is the condition of the module as it was 'advertised' or represented.

It would be great to really know all the facts, but I think this information is a good barometer of how prices are trending on average. Obviously there are a lot of variables at play. Even Mick admits he is trying to be consistent with condition evaluations, but I don't think any of us could be 100% accurate or consistent, so it is an overview which will have some anomalies based upon the number of data points and variations as mentioned before.

Personally, I would really appreciate it, if Mick is willing and has the time, to post the results of his app on a monthly or quarterly basis. It would be good information for both old collectors and new ones ;-)

Thank you both - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:55 pm 

I don't believe I have visited the FB group.
Will try to soon - thanks.