D&D Basic Set (7th ??) in Shrink-wrap
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:58 pm 

Can I get an appraisal / price-check for the following Basic Set (7th edition ???) in shrink-wrap with original price sticker?

It is a recent find and appears to have been sitting in an attic for decades (dusty/musty smell and obvious dust under the shrink-wrap). Aside from some dishing to the top, there doesn't appear to be any damage whatsoever, and the corners are tight and intact.

The price sticker is from a once well-known Canadian retail chain called Eatons, and although originally set at $16.00 was discounted to $4.99 for whatever reason.

*EDIT - the pictures are not great, but the discolouration that you see appears to simply be from dust underneath the shrink that I cannot remove without destroying the shrink.

Thanks in advance!

Attachment:
Front.jpg

Attachment:
Back.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Lord Metal-Demon on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:56 pm 

Given the musty smell I would say that it is almost impossible to appraise this from afar. If their is mold/mildew on the box I wouldn't pay anything for it, because the box would be useless and the contents likely as well. In that instance I would remove the shrinkwrap to check the contents, but many others would not, because the tattered icky plastic is somehow considered to be of value, when its actual value (if original shrink) is guaranteeing at a distance that the contents are untouched and complete. But if there are potential mildew issues, that guarantee is moot; hence why I would remove the plastic and check the contents. Again, this is predicated on there being mildew on the box exterior.

Shrink is not a condition

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:05 pm 

Thanks! I appreciate your help!

The pictures aren't great, and I should clarify that it's not mildew and there are no signs of staining from moisture, it's just got that "dusty" smell from the dust that made it's way under the shrink over the years (you can see a common circular puncture in the shrink by the knight's left hand).

My next question is ... what would the value of the box be if the shrink were to be removed removed, the dust wiped off and the interior contents proven to be in new and untouched condition?

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:37 am 

i would leave shrink where it stays... value depends significanlty on its presence... the point that Stratochamp outlined has to be worked out if you dont want to have trouble in a sale: those gray/greenish halos on the back of the box are mold or not?
The value may swing a lot depending on the reply of this question.
ciaooo

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:37 am 

Thanks for your input Aia!

No, it's not mold ... The pictures aren't great, and for that I apologize!

I am not a grading expert - in fact, this is my first shrink-wrapped find. As I mentioned above, there are no signs of staining, mold or mildew on the box ...It's just decades of dust that I cannot remove without destroying the shrink.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:32 pm 

I would carefully remove as much of the dust from the SW that you can.  If there are any holes in the SW, work around them, blocking off the hole with your finger or some other item that won't stick to the SW or box.  You can then carefully wipe off the remaining dust with a soft cotton or microfiber cloth and a mild cleaner that doesn't leave any residue, like a glass cleaner.  I've successfully done this many times without destroying the SW.  It looks like it could easily be done with this box, as I see only 3 or 4 spots where there might be holes in the SW.

The areas where the dust has found its way inside the SW will be the hardest to clean.  In these areas, a vacuum can be used, but it has to be set to low suction, preferably using a micro attachment.  To facilitate, a fine paint brush can be used to loosen up the dust just prior to vacuuming.  What you don't want to do is spread the dust around inside the SW.  It's much harden to get out then.  Judging from the pictures, it doesn't look like a lot of dust in underneath the SW though.

If you decide to clean it up, please post picture afterwards.  If there isn't any mold/mildew on the box, there is a better chance that there isn't any inside or any rust as well.  You said it was in an attic, so it's possible that the humidity was low, and this set has mostly been exposed to dust and heat.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:41 pm 

I appreciate your help and input, dbartman!

I'll be honest, I'm absolutely terrified to try cleaning it myself ...  :oops:

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 pm 

You really can't hurt it if you follow those steps and don't rush.  The plastic was meant to be handled.  Even if you somehow get some of the glass cleaner on the box, it's unlikely it will do any damage as it will dry rather quickly.

The key is to remove as much of the dust first before wiping down the plastic with a damp cloth.  Don't spray the cleaner on the plastic directly.

Try a small area on the back first to boost your confidence.