Two front and rear covers on an OCE Men and Magic Book
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:51 pm 

A while back I purchased an OCE Set with all three books and the reference sheets included (Ref Sheets Hole Punched). The box was in poor shape and the books were in only decent shape. With some stains and a slight mildew smell.

The ONLY reason I bid at all was the fact that the Men and Magic book has TWO outer book Covers (Front and Back), instead of one...

Obviously I had never seen that before.

What do you guys think?
Just a misprint?
What value would the book have as a collectable?
As an oddity?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:50 am 

Heh, heh. That would never have happened with Gary and co. hand-stapling them.

Nope; definitely never seen that before. :)
Nice to have in that context, IMO.

Does say something about the printing process, but wouldn't be impossible to fake. (Certainly not one to buy via eBay with the usual low-res scan, unable to take even a casual glance at the staples).

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:02 am 

harami2000 wrote:Heh, heh. That would never have happened with Gary and co. hand-stapling them.
Nope; definitely never seen that before. :)
Nice to have in that context, IMO.
Does say something about the printing process, but wouldn't be impossible to fake. (Certainly not one to buy via eBay with the usual low-res scan, unable to take even a casual glance at the staples).

I did study the staples carefully and closely and they look original, the same as the other books and in the same slightly rusty condition and the outer cover is of course not in as good a condition as the inner cover, but the inner cover does show light rust. The seller did not overly advertise about the book having two covers, so I really doubt the seller faked this. The outer cover is beginning to fray at the spine (As are the other two books). And all three books are well used.

If I were to fake this, I would do so with better copies than these certainly.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:43 pm 

Generally printing flaws & defects do not increase the value of an item significantly.  This happens quite often during the process of producing printed media, whether it is automated or done by hand.  With rare items it can make them more valuable, simply because they are an anomally.  I would suggest that they can actually have a negative effect too if the items graphics or text are illegible or partially eliminated due to the flaw/defect.

With respect to the Men and Magic book.  At the very least it protected the inner cover and kept it in better condition.  But as far as increasing the value, I would suggest not.  Never know though.  Sometimes collectors go for unique copies!  I have always been interested in them personally.