RPGA Miniatures Set 1
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:29 am 

I must be really bad at searching because I couldn't find anything that would give me a sense on value for these two boxed sets on ebay.  PDT_Armataz_01_05

I found this on TSR Dungeon and Dragons Miniature Figures but I didn't know how old these figures were or if they still hold true today.

The TSR line was the least popular line of D&D miniatures ever produced due to their general poor quality and breakage prone weapens. Obviously a lot of money went into the design as they had great packaging. The blisters even had dungeon tiles on the back to use in game play. If only the miniatures had been as good. Still, there are several worth owning and gaming with and everyone will find at least a few of the TSR figures to their liking. The best set and the most popular was the Basic Figure set. This box had some interesting figures, a few monsters and the figures painted up very nicely. The set is worth around 50.00 when all weapons are intact. Sealed the set will bring in 60-70.00. Most of the other boxed sets are only worth 10.00-20.00 each even when in mint or sealed condition. The GenCon RPGA Set, the Conan sets and Dragonlance set are easily worth 35.00-60.00 each. A few sets (the Champion and Expert) I have never seen and so have no idea of the value though I would suspect that these would sell for at least 50.00. Blisters are generally very cheap, being worth only 3.00-7.00 a pack. A few of the hard to get ones, such as the Druids, Fighters and Half-Elves may be worth a bit more. As mentioned, the blisters contain pretty good miniatures and are a bargain at these prices.

TSR miniatures are identifiable as such very easily as they are all stamped TSR with a date of 1983 or 1984.

TSR produced their own line of miniatures for just two years. In 1985 they discontinued production and instead licensed Citadel/Games Workshop to produce their miniatures. These miniatures continued to bear the TSR stamp.

They are pristine and still in shrink.  

-SKA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:56 am 

I have seen those go as high as $200 and as low as $50.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:24 am 

Blackmoor wrote in RPGA Miniatures Set 1:I have seen those go as high as $200 and as low as $50.

Box sets of figures especially sealed are hit or miss. I would recommend NOT auctioning them, but rather asking for fixed price. I would probably list them at $150 each with best offer and see what happens.

--

Chris Korczak | www.rpgrpgrpg.com
IOBA (Independent Online Booksellers Association)
SNEAB (Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers)

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:22 pm 

I think this set would do quite well at auction.  List and advertise it well and it should sell for a very nice amount, perhaps for more than $150.

Or, you can go the way mentioned previously by ckorczak, and eventually you might sell it, but you will never know if you priced it too low.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:23 pm 

I would also be very wary of the figures being damaged:  the foam in the TSR boxes was quite thin, and certainly wouldn't prevent the minis from moving all over the place within the box, including smashing into each other during shipping.  I've had this happen with both TSR and Grenadier boxes with full foam (but most of Ral Partha's boxed sets had much heavier foam within them, and also smaller spaces for the figures, so they're usually safer to ship in my experience).  

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:34 pm 

Only way to tell is to open it.

You could also shake the box to see if they rattle around inside. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:26 pm 

Blackmoor is right; put it up for $200.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:11 pm 

ckorczak wrote in RPGA Miniatures Set 1:
Blackmoor wrote in RPGA Miniatures Set 1:I have seen those go as high as $200 and as low as $50.

Box sets of figures especially sealed are hit or miss. I would recommend NOT auctioning them, but rather asking for fixed price. I would probably list them at $150 each with best offer and see what happens.

Agree, list them BIN with Best offer $150-200