Advice on auctioning a friend's Polyhedron Magazines
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:57 am 

Good Morning everyone,

A friend has asked me to bring his Polyhedron magazine collection to the Gen Con auction. He has issues 1-22 in pretty good condition (except a couple of small circular stains on the cover of #1 - coffee?).

Any thoughts on the best way to group them for sale? By year/volume (1-3. 4-6, 7-9 ...) or perhaps rarity (1, 2-3, 4-6, 7-10, 11-16, 17-22) or en masse?

(I can post pictures if there's interest.)

Thanks in advance,
Old Man

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:47 pm 

I haven't been to the GenCon auction in over a decade, but my hunch is that Polyhedron issues are common enough that your friend would be better off putting them into the Auction Store vs. entering them in the auction itself (assuming that they still have the Auction Store, of course).

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm 

The low # issues sometimes do well at the GenCon auction. If you sell them as one lot you will only have one fee and they will most likely make the collectors auction. Otherwise you may want to price them according to the prices on the Acauem and go the Auction store route with the prices decreasing each day to help them sell.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:21 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote in Advice on auctioning a friend's Polyhedron Magazines:The low # issues sometimes do well at the GenCon auction. If you sell them as one lot you will only have one fee and they will most likely make the collectors auction. Otherwise you may want to price them according to the prices on the Acauem and go the Auction store route with the prices decreasing each day to help them sell.

Thanks folks. I poked through the GenCon auction results and 2014 was the last year that a bunch of 1-10 sold (otherwise mostly in the #50+ range and in bundles) and did fairly well (about $270 total for all 10). I'll have to check the Acaeum prices and see what's what.

Regards,
Old Man

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:55 pm 

This probably goes without saying, but Polyhedron issues with their original mailing cover attached are worth more to collectors than those without.  Good luck at the GenCon auctions!

“When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes!” -Winston Zeddemore

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in Advice on auctioning a friend's Polyhedron Magazines:This probably goes without saying, but Polyhedron issues with their original mailing cover attached are worth more to collectors than those without.  Good luck at the GenCon auctions!

Huh, I did not know. Did they all come w mailing covers? Ish 1-21 don't have a cover and didn't look like one was torn off - perhaps, many years ago, Bill carefully removed them ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:02 am 

I'm not sure if they all came with mailing covers, but my guess would be that they did (at least the early issues did since they were originally given exclusively to members of the RPGA).

“When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes!” -Winston Zeddemore

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:11 pm 

The earliest issue I have with a mailing cover is 13. I bought Issues 1-110 at an RPGA dinner auction. They were housed in RPGA slipcovers, so while not definitive, it would lead me to think that that was the first issue with a mailing cover.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:18 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote in Advice on auctioning a friend's Polyhedron Magazines:The low # issues sometimes do well at the GenCon auction. If you sell them as one lot you will only have one fee and they will most likely make the collectors auction. Otherwise you may want to price them according to the prices on the Acauem and go the Auction store route with the prices decreasing each day to help them sell.

OR...

You can ask some fellow Acaeum members if they need any loose issues...

*cough* *cough*

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:04 pm 

1-12, 87-100, and the Intro issue are the ones that never had a mailing cover. I knew we had discussed this before, did some searching, and found the answer in a post from Brett circa 2003!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:46 pm 

Everyone,

Thanks for the info. Per your info and Bill's wishes we did auction 1-20 in groups of 5. Did pretty well especially the first group ($250?!).

Thanks everyone,
Old Man

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:48 pm 

Old Man wrote in Advice on auctioning a friend's Polyhedron Magazines:Everyone,

Thanks for the info. Per your info and Bill's wishes we did auction 1-20 in groups of 5. Did pretty well especially the first group ($250?!).

Thanks everyone,
Old Man

All you need is two bidders to bid the item up... like me...

Fortunately, the other gentleman I bid against needed three of them, and will absorb my insane bid...

Congrats!

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord