D&D Collection Price Check
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:01 am 

Hi Everyone,

Quick value check.  Someone wants to sell me the following D&D/AD&D collection.  What do you think is a fair price?  All I have are the pics (attached) and I have not seen or looked through the items in person yet.  Thank you.

The modules are: Under Illefarn, Player Character Record Sheets, The Assassin's Knot, The Gauntlet, Dungeon Masters Screen, Dungeon Masters Design Kit, The Official RPGA Tournament Handbook, The Sentinel, Blizzard Pass, The Final Enemy, Ghost of Lion Castle, City of the Gods, The Isle of Dread, Player Character Record Sheets, The Savage Coast

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ben.S.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:16 pm 

bspaul41 wrote in D&D Collection Price Check:Hi Everyone,

Quick value check.  Someone wants to sell me the following D&D/AD&D collection.  What do you think is a fair price?  All I have are the pics (attached) and I have not seen or looked through the items in person yet.  Thank you.

The modules are: Under Illefarn, Player Character Record Sheets, The Assassin's Knot, The Gauntlet, Dungeon Masters Screen, Dungeon Masters Design Kit, The Official RPGA Tournament Handbook, The Sentinel, Blizzard Pass, The Final Enemy, Ghost of Lion Castle, City of the Gods, The Isle of Dread, Player Character Record Sheets, The Savage Coast

Because of condition unknowns and what little I can discern from the photos, I wouldn't offer over $300.00 for everything.  Things like mold, mildew and water damage can make this lot worthless, so I am assuming none of those issues are present.

The best way to determine actual value is to do your own research on eBay looking only at SOLD values, not SELLING values.  All these items have had multiple sales on eBay within the past 90 days and can be seen.  You'll notice a wide disparity of sale prices primarily due to condition of the item, but also due to the reputation of the seller and shipping costs.  Good luck!   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:53 pm 

I would concur with $300 as a good starting point, possibly as high as $400, if you really wanted the lot.  Some of the items look to be fairly worn, but the hardbacks look like they are in pretty good shape.

There also appears to be some miscellaneous pieces parts, which are not worth much at all.  Completeness is also important.

Are you able to look over the collection?  That would be best if you wanted to offer more for it.  At least getting better photos would be good to do.

As benjoshua mentioned, checking sold prices on eBay for each of these is the best way to get an approximate value.  Selling as a lot usually does not provide the return that selling the items individually can attain.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:04 pm 

Thank you for the advice.  I am not going to purchase the collection.  When I asked for more information about the condition such as mold/mildew, etc. they got elusive.  Stated normal wear and tear for storage in a box in the basement.  Sounds too shady for me-not going to waste my time on this person.

Ben.S.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:42 pm 

bspaul41 wrote in D&D Collection Price Check:Thank you for the advice.  I am not going to purchase the collection.  When I asked for more information about the condition such as mold/mildew, etc. they got elusive.  Stated normal wear and tear for storage in a box in the basement.  Sounds too shady for me-not going to waste my time on this person.

One of the things you can do to protect yourself somewhat is to arrange a private sale through eBay.  While eBay sometimes doesn't protect you when you want them to and sometimes they "protect" a bad seller, I've had more successes than disappointments.  If the item is not as described, you should be able to return it and get your money back.  The fact that they want to make this sale off eBay is usually not a good sign.

Otherwise, if you are not going to buy this lot, there may be someone else on these forums who lives near the seller and would be interested in going through the travel and trouble, although I doubt it since there's nothing rare, unusual or shrinkwrap to be seen.   :?   Anyway, if you don't want the lot, share the city and state, and maybe someone will follow up with you to get their contact information and arrange a visit.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.