Hackamster - Temple of Existential Evil - Help
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:25 pm 

To those of you who collect Hackmaster, I have acquired a majority of the titles, but Temple of Existential Evil has eluded me for quite some time. Recently a seller listed one, along with several other lots of Hackmaster, including the fancy hardcovers.

The Temple of Existential Evil (see listing below) was described as "No markings inside the book and in good condition.", which is why I was willing to pay $70 for it, even though it had the address label on the cover (I have had good success in removing such things without incident). If I had known it had the issues it had (see below eBay link), I would not have paid anywhere near this much or bought it all.

Please understand that there was no intent or malice on the part of the seller. He is selling off his father's collection who passed and I have had enough communication with him to feel strongly that it was just an oversight. Part of me would like to keep it, as it is a title I am missing, but the condition really does bother me, especially for the price paid. The seller is willing to offer a "partial refund" or a full refund & pay for the shipping. So now my question is: "What is a Hackamster - Temple of Existential Evil in this condition worth?"

Hackmaster Descent Into The Netherdeep | eBay

Highlighting (ochre/yellow) - pages 2 & 3
Underling (blue pen) - pages 4-5, 27-32, 35-36
Writing (blue or black pen) - pages 4-5, 35-36, 111-112

The highlighting is just a few lines on the above pages, but the underlining & writing varies from a little to extensive, depending upon the pages. The greatest propensity is from pages 27 thru 36. I greatly appreciate any help with this matter so the seller and I can get a 'fair market value' that is at least somewhat impartial.

Thank you - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:42 pm 

I'd say it's a reading copy based on the amount of damage done, so I'd say return it.

If you're asking what I think he might get if he were to resell it and fully describe the contents? Probably $30 to $50, just my guess. But then he should cover your shipping costs to return it. So if you really want to keep it, I'd ask for $30.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:25 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Hackamster - Temple of Existential Evil - Help:I'd say it's a reading copy based on the amount of damage done, so I'd say return it.

If you're asking what I think he might get if he were to resell it and fully describe the contents? Probably $30 to $50, just my guess. But then he should cover your shipping costs to return it. So if you really want to keep it, I'd ask for $30.

Hi Bill,

I greatly appreciate the insight and your assessment is a good one, as we ended up settling in that ballpark. My goal is to acquire a collectible copy at a reasonable price and then resell this one and hopefully break-even or close to ;-)

In addition, since I have not spent any real time reading the Hackmaster modules, I was curious if anyone has done a "side-by-side" comparison of these modules to their D&D forebears. I realize that they are very similar, but I don't know if they are exactly the same or if there are just minor differences or are there major differences. Might be an interesting little project, if someone has any "spare time"  :lol:

Thank you - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:44 pm 

Paul---

I've seen the HM ToEE sell for $100-200-ish, but I haven't kept track of sales for it for awhile.

I'd return the book, myself.  

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:44 am 

stratochamp wrote in Hackamster - Temple of Existential Evil - Help:I'd say it's a reading copy based on the amount of damage done, so I'd say return it.

Bill is correct...

Even in that condition it's still worth $50... all day...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:38 am 

If you are looking for a collectible copy, return it and keep looking.  Whenever I have bought marginal copies of any collectible they are always a hassle to get rid of or even replace.  Buying it right the first time is the best policy (unless the item is very rare and any copy will do).

Cheers

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pm 

I paid $90 for my almost-mint copy recently, so I'd suggest like stratochamp.

With that kinda marking, I might have spent $50 just to get one, but probably would have passed completely.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.