OD&D/BM/PHB Valuation
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:04 pm 

Hello All,

I am preparing to sell three D&D items to a fellow member of the OD&D discussion community. However I'm not really aware of what these things are worth today.

I wonder if the good folks here might offer opinions re: what is a fair, market price for these:

* OD&D 3rd print. Booklets only (no box or ref sheets). Booklets are marked/highlighted by previous owners; rusty staples; loose pages. So, essentially they are "beater" condition.
* OD&D Sup. II Blackmoor. 1st print in poor condition.
* OD&D Sup. II Blackmoor. Late print in very good condition.
* AD&D PHB 2nd/3rd print (I have both, only selling one) in fine condition.

Any advise/insight much appreciated :)

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:22 am 

It d be useful to see some pics,  however you cant go wrong if you stick to the acaeum tables for each item.
Ciaoo

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:36 am 

Thanks aia,

I did check out the price tables at Rulebooks Index before I posted.

I didn't see any price guide for OD&D sets without boxes; maybe I just missed it?  What do we reckon a set of booklets are generally worth without the box?

I did see the list suggests $8-30 for a 2nd/3rd print PHB, but then I've seen results from ebay sales much higher. I guess that price range seems conservative to me; what do others with more experience think? Is it realistic to think I could jump on ebay and pick up a mint 2nd print PHB for $30?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:19 am 

A couple of suggestions

When looking at Acaeum pricing, consider that it is more than just eBay solds.

Also, a Buyer that you happen to be dealing with is not the same person that won the item listed on eBay. I deal with people locally quite frequently to buy items and when they say "Well it sold on eBay for $X, that's what I want". If I don't like the price, I'll say "If you want that, you should sell it on eBay then" and I don't mean to be a smartass about it. It's just the fact that I'm not the person that is willing to pay that much for that item.

I've also been on the other side of it too, where I was the only person willing to spend what a Dealer was asking on an item that at least a thousand others had looked at and said no. So don't be afraid that you aren't coming into an agreement on the deal with the first person interested in the items you have offered.

You'd like to get as much as you can and be fair about it, the buyer wants to pay as little as he/she can and be fair about it - and that's just the best scenario.

I bought my 2nd print PHB about a year ago in VF+ condition with no writing in it, etc for about $30 including shipping. I shopped around A LOT before I finally pulled the trigger on one though. I saw plenty before then and more since get more money than what I paid for mine.

A 2nd print set of the OD&D books (no sheets or box) sold on eBay a while back for $931. I don't remember exactly what condition those books were in but I'm pretty sure they were in better condition than yours. Low grade, highly desirable items are absolutely the toughest things to figure out pricing on in any field of collecting though and every Collector is going to figure value on such items differently.

I paid almost nothing for my NM to Mint 2nd Print Blackmoor but it came in a Collection so I'm no help there, sorry. But again, I spent a lot of time looking before I jumped on one. My time has to be worth something while I was looking for one, there's always a trade off.

Hopefully what you get out of what I've written here is that selling is always a negotiation.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:07 am 

Thanks Mister Yuk.

With the various other handy links to ebay about, it's easy to assume to pricing is ebay-centric, but I take your comments on board. A line about how the pricing is derived might be a useful addition to the main list.

Anyways, in the absence of more specific input, I've decided to go with half the box-set price for the booklets alone.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:54 am 

You're welcome waysoftheearth

How pricing is derived here is in the FAQ, lines 4 through 13.

FAQ

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:59 am 

Great explanation!  Is there a handy link to it directly from the valuation page?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 pm 

waysoftheearth wrote in OD&D/BM/PHB Valuation:Great explanation!  Is there a handy link to it directly from the valuation page?

I don't believe so. Just happened to remember it was there.