1st ed Phb on ebay white leaf?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:42 pm 

Howdy folks,  new to this site but D&Der since '83.
Ebay selling a first ed "true first" phb buuut other than this site's reference to a true first printing with white leafs I don't see other sources reference that the white leaf came before the orange leaf first print?
Nor do I see an original source for this statement???
Hope anyone can help as I don't want to spend that much $$$ on just a variation first print if the orange leaf is realy the first print!!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:32 am 

yes, the true first does have white flyleaves. make sure the book still has the perforated reference sheets. With those detached, it will lower the value since it's not complete.

is it this one?

** eBay auction listing blocked by The Acaeum.  Seller is on our blacklist **

if so then ask the seller whether the reference sheets are still attached

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:58 am 

misterspock wrote in 1st ed Phb on ebay white leaf?:yes, the true first does have white flyleaves. make sure the book still has the perforated reference sheets. With those detached, it will lower the value since it's not complete.

is it this one?
Orginal AD D 1st Ed Hardback PLAYERS HANDBOOK Very Rare TRUE 1ST PRINTING | eBay

if so then ask the seller whether the reference sheets are still attached

"The book is in lightly used still very good condition! It has light cover and light edge and corner wear, but its still in nice shape!"

I guess I have a different definition of "light" wear and "very good condition"...   Plus if your trying to get $300 + for something why the crap pictures?  Makes me want to find the person and put my hands around their throat!  Or am I nuts?  :mrgreen:  :twisted:

"Characters stepping through will appear at the start totally nude, while everything else with them will go to the crypt of the demi-lich.  (Cruel, but most entertaining for the DM...)"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:42 pm 

Terzaghi wrote in 1st ed Phb on ebay white leaf?:Ebay selling a first ed "true first" phb buuut other than this site's reference to a true first printing with white leafs I don't see other sources reference that the white leaf came before the orange leaf first print?
Nor do I see an original source for this statement???

I don't question it but can see why others might. It makes sense to me that since later prints had the same color endpapers and flyleaves that if there were several that coincided otherwise with a 1st print and had a different color - it was probably an earlier printing. That's just a common sense look at how book making usually works. It could be possible though, not having any other evidence, that a run was made during the production of the first print that used white paper or maybe another Printer was contacted to make a run and used a different color paper - I don't know though. There is a thank you to Jeff Soileau and Joe Tibbetts for their help with the info and maybe they had very solid evidence that one was definitely printed before the other.

Ravenwood wrote in 1st ed Phb on ebay white leaf?:
"The book is in lightly used still very good condition! It has light cover and light edge and corner wear, but its still in nice shape!"

I guess I have a different definition of "light" wear and "very good condition"...   Plus if your trying to get $300 + for something why the crap pictures?  Makes me want to find the person and put my hands around their throat!  Or am I nuts?  :mrgreen:  :twisted:

That's a Seller's grade of condition which can be vastly different than what a Collector or potential Buyer would call it. Years ago I got furious at a Local Comic dealer because everything he had was labeled either Mint or Near Mint. He had mostly Silver and Bronze Age books and I didn't think any of them were Near Mint, let alone Mint. Part of his response to me was that if the book looked Ok it was Mint and if it wasn't that nice, it was less than Mint or Near Mint. I think my eyes rolled so hard, I saw my brain.

I didn't think the pics were too bad, I think we've all seen worse. She probably saw that True 1st that sold a few months ago for almost $600 and figured she'd start it at half of that. Of course the one that sold for $600 was in Waaaay better condition than hers.

I bought some old Lead Minis from her a while ago. Sometimes I think she's intentionally vague about stuff but that's a lot of sellers. I had questions on the Minis I was looking to buy and she answered them right away and packed my stuff well. I'd buy from her again. She tends to be high on her books and modules though, but she sells them for full price sometimes. I like money too, I can't fault her for trying to get as much as she can. $300 for that book though, not me but maybe someone else would.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:00 pm 

Terzaghi wrote in 1st ed Phb on ebay white leaf?:Howdy folks,  new to this site but D&Der since '83.

Oh and forgot to say, welcome to the Group, Terzaghi. You started playing around the same time as I did, I was a few years earlier - I guess we're the whippersnappers of the group  :D

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:07 pm 

Thanks for the welcome as well as the information!
ad&d was big part of my youth (we still play every week or two) so I am looking at picking up and displaying first prints of the core books (as a start).  I suspect the collecting bug will grow as i have my eye on some early modules as well  :P
Picked up a sweet fine condition dmg first print recently but given the condition of this phb (at this price) I think I'll pass.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:48 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in 1st ed Phb on ebay white leaf?:I think my eyes rolled so hard, I saw my brain.

ROFLMAO! I'm stealing that one!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:43 pm 

Regarding the above item, I thought you should check out this post from the Interesting Items on eBay thread in the General section ;-)

PM-Knight wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:A buyer/seller on eBay that is selling a large collection came across a great find and grabbed it.

Here is a link to the listing ... wish I had seen this one, but none of my 30+ eBay "Search Notifications" caught it  :roll:

Dungeons and Dragons Set monster manual players handbook dieties dm guide | eBay

A day late and $250 short ...  PDT_Armataz_01_05

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:42 am 

Terzaghi wrote in 1st ed Phb on ebay white leaf?:Thanks for the welcome as well as the information!
ad&d was big part of my youth (we still play every week or two) so I am looking at picking up and displaying first prints of the core books (as a start).  I suspect the collecting bug will grow as i have my eye on some early modules as well  :P
Picked up a sweet fine condition dmg first print recently but given the condition of this phb (at this price) I think I'll pass.

You're more than welcome, glad to help.

I had the same goal early on until I saw that most 1st prints were really going to be out of range of what I wanted to spend without compromising my condition requirements. I ended up with picking and choosing attributes that I found most desirable and giving me more options when stuff becomes available. 4th print OD&D set, 2nd print MM and PHB, I have a first print DMG but it's not very nice so I picked up a much nicer 4th print. 2nd print D&DG.

The most important thing is to be patient, while you're searching you're also learning - over time you'll build an understanding of the Market and then you won't fear making a snap decision when the time comes. Oh yeah, and be ready with your money - you never know beforehand when the deal of a lifetime just so happens to drop in your lap.