1993 TSR SALES KIT
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:48 pm 

Hello,

I came across this auction with about 15 minutes left and scrambled to find some information about this item. There was little info in the way of a Google search and the Acaeum just had a few mentions in thread from a find by BlackDougal in which there was a press kit. Unfortunately, the photos are no longer posted and there was no mention of rarity or value to this item.
In the past 10+ years I have been collecting, I have never seen one, which does not mean it is especially rare or valuable, but for the sake of nostalgia, I took a shot and won.

Dungeons and Dragons 1993 TSR SALES KIT RARE | eBay

Did I over pay for this item or did I do pretty well?

Thank you,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:33 pm 

Those are always tough to figure out. I'd assume at least one of those went to every store that carried the TSR lines, which would be a bunch - but many of those were thrown away after their usefulness. There would be almost no way of figuring out how many were left.

I think what is neat about it is the coverage of product. TSR was running full steam at that time so virtually every product imaginable gets a mention in the packet. Realms, Dark Sun, probably Ravenloft - despite a little condemnation that could be given to the company at that time in business, there is no doubt that the lines they produced at the time have much love and fans throughout the gaming community still to this day.

So what's it worth? Probably what you paid, maybe someone else would pay more. It's one of those things - it seemed to be properly listed and was available to purchase by a world-wide audience. It's nice to see that you did have to outbid someone, so at least one other person was willing to pay about what you did.

Me personally, I think it's a nice piece of TSR History. Especially if you are a fan of the offshoot TSR lines (Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, etc)

Nice pickup PM-Knight!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:33 pm 

The Press Kits or Sales Kits are much harder to find than the normal yearly catalogs.  I'm not sure which stores were sent these kits rather than the single book yearly catalog but I'm sure it was not sent to all stores - they are considerably more rare.

I have 2 copies of the 1993 one - each had slightly different content but I'd have to check them to see what the difference is.  In total I have about 5 or 6 for various years.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 pm 

I'm sure they were sent to distributors; I don't know how many made their way to stores. I worked for a distributor bitd and the press kits like this were minutely useful sales tools. It seemed to me at the time that their main reason for existence was to end up being a collectible of mine in 30 years....

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 am 

I remember getting those BITD (I had a game store at the time)

They went into a drawer after a brief glance and eventually thrown out.  The kits came with catalogs as well which we sold cheaply or gave away to good customers.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!