non-TSR values?: Quinstead, Brotherhood/Bolt
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:57 am 

Hi all---

I don't recall seeing copies of the Ruins of Quinstead (Gamers' Group Publications) or Brotherhood of the Bolt (The Companions) sell recently, and wanted your input on pricing them?

For Quinstead I have a like-new copy (EX+/NM), and Bolt I have in a few conditions:  1) M in shrink, 2) EX/NM with all maps, 3) EX/NM and missing the color map, 4) VG/VG with writing/game play usage notes throughout, and missing the color map.  

I'm not in a rush to sell them, just wanted to get a sense from folks about values, and whether they've been on the market recently (I just don't recall seeing any sell in a long time).  

Thanks!

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:45 am 

Hi Allan,  brotherhood of the bolt in the past had auctions swinging between 60 and 80 bucks... A copy in shrink could be over 100 dollars.
No idea for the other adventure,  i dont recall any previous auction. However this title is missing on my shelf: should you decide to trade it,  pls drop me a pm.

Thanks

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:03 am 

Hey Allan,

I'm interested in a Brotherhood of the Bolt upgrade to my copy.  PM if you want to sell it.

I purchased my copy directly from Mr. Wheeler at MassConfusion in '84 or '85 at their Companions booth.  He talked me in to buying that book after a long and pleasant conversation.  I'd love to have a nicer copy.

Thanks,

Thom

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:24 pm 

aia wrote in non-TSR values?: Quinstead, Brotherhood/Bolt:Hi Allan,  brotherhood of the bolt in the past had auctions swinging between 60 and 80 bucks... A copy in shrink could be over 100 dollars.
No idea for the other adventure,  i dont recall any previous auction. However this title is missing on my shelf: should you decide to trade it,  pls drop me a pm.

Will do, thanks Axel.  

throwi wrote in non-TSR values?: Quinstead, Brotherhood/Bolt:I'm interested in a Brotherhood of the Bolt upgrade to my copy.  PM if you want to sell it.

I purchased my copy directly from Mr. Wheeler at MassConfusion in '84 or '85 at their Companions booth.  He talked me in to buying that book after a long and pleasant conversation.  I'd love to have a nicer copy.

That's fun, Thom!  Will let you know if I decide to sell.

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:43 pm 

Hey Allan,

I haven't seen a Quinstead up in a real long time, so don't have any current intelligence on its value.  You should note that there are two versions.  The original has a blue cardstock cover, is bound with black tape, and has "DC1" in the upper left corner of the cover.  The reprint is white paper looseleaf, and doesn't have the "DC1".  If Mark (Mars) is around, he may have more info.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:33 pm 

Bracton wrote in non-TSR values?: Quinstead, Brotherhood/Bolt:The original has a blue cardstock cover, is bound with black tape, and has "DC1" in the upper left corner of the cover.  The reprint is white paper looseleaf, and doesn't have the "DC1".  If Mark (Mars) is around, he may have more info.

The reprint I believe is the converted for D20 version so not a direct reprint of the original.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:59 pm 

How playable is Bolt?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 pm 

Deadlord wrote in non-TSR values?: Quinstead, Brotherhood/Bolt:How playable is Bolt?

Well, it jammed full of material including a castle, burial sites and a few wilderness locales. There are full scale maps for minis for almost every encounter area. The font is small but there's no open space on the pages - word count is ridiculous for the pages (I think between 48-60 pages?).

There are exceptional magical items (unique), one of the reasons I bought it.

I think it's designed for d100 but might have conversion charts?  Can't exactly recall off the top of my head.  I know I used it for MERP a bunch of times so that makes some sense why I think its d100.

It's a great book, one of my top ten favorites.

~throwi

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:06 pm 

Deadlord wrote in non-TSR values?: Quinstead, Brotherhood/Bolt:How playable is Bolt?

I agree with Thom's summary, and will add that like Midkemia Press books, The Companions produced books that are usable at the table---not merely ideas and stuff that you'd have to rewrite to run, but usable, interesting, well-designed scenarios that are worth playing in their own right.

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:42 pm 

Thanks, guys. I'll have to keep a lookout for a cheap-ass beat-up copy. A nice one would be expensive and I only want it for playing purposes. Add to that beat-up copies of things like Gems for Death, Sylvan Settings, Starstone.................

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:32 am 

That's why I was hoping that a thread from last year would come to fruition... redoing the Companions work is on my "dream list" and was hoping that would lift off.  I'd volunteer my time for that work!

~throwi

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:43 am 

My memory is hazy, but I think found the author of Quinstead on ebay a few years ago. Or maybe it was a lead via Mars. Don't remember. I sold it a couple years ago for $50, I think. About normal for unremarkable non-TSR stuff.

Bolt I think has dropped. I completed my Companions hunting a while back, but after I did, I occasionally noticed lower prices. I would expect most of that stuff to be around $30, with Bolt and Gems For Death always being harder to find, so maybe double that. If value had any correlation to quality of the material, then they should be $500 each! I think they're up there on a top five list with stuff like Starstone, Midkemia, CDM/Tortured Souls...

Just about everything I know about this sub-sub-niche I learned from Mars. My main takeaway was that it's a pretty small market - if 20 people already have Quinstead or 100 have something like Starsone, it may be saturated and new additions to the market could be tough sells.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:48 am 

I can't see how Quinstead and Starstone would be hard sells. I am sure they'd go for a decent sum.