Authentication needed for common "6th Print Delta" DMG
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 pm 

Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?

Hello, I am trying to find if there is anyone on this forum with the credentials and authority to authenticate this apparently very common yet previously undescribed version of the DMG. It is identical to the 6th Print Gamma version of the DMG, except the book is physically smaller and lighter, has a rough-textured cover like the first few DMG printings, has slightly more flexible cover material, and the pages are smooth rather than rough-textured. The text is noticeably closer to the edges than the previous printings (the page numbers are as close to the edge as they are in the 2nd Beta Print). The product code "2011" and the Wizard logo on the front cover, and the ISBN on the back cover, are also much closer to the rim.

For now, I have unofficially dubbed this the "Sixth Print Delta". It could be argued these are bootleg copies done years later, but if so why do they pop up so much in eBay auctions, and why do they show signs of wear and tear along with signs they were actually used around 1981? My sense is that these books were quickly made in money-saving fashion to keep up with demand between the established 6th Gamma Print of 1980, and the 7th Print of 1981. Of course, this doesn't solve the mystery of the rough-textured cover material. This is why I am asking for assistance in getting this printed authenticated---and if it is indeed the real thing (as I suspect) then please consider updating the DMG page.

I have at least two copies of this "6th Delta Print" and would be happy to send one to someone with the right knowledge and experience to determine the authenticity of this book since it seems to be quite common and distinctly different. I'd particularly be interested in hearing from someone with deep insider knowledge of the TSR printing production circa 1980/1981.

Thank you :)

This space can be YOURS if the price is right!!! (Okay, still working on this . . .  :p)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:50 pm 

Hi Pauly,
thanks for posting. Is there any way you could take a photo comparing one of the different 6th prints in the same shot with this other 6th print you found? For instance, a photo of both covers, both with the interior covers, both spines, both spine views, both back covers?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:22 pm 

Pssst... see this thread:  :wink:

Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:05 pm 

I'm still willing to send the copy shown in the linked photos/clips to an interested person with the right authentication credentials to examine, deciding whether or not to make the unofficial "Sixth Print Delta" officially recognized. This version keeps on popping up in eBay auctions, so it is not rare. Evidence seems to indicate it is NOT an aftermarket replica.

If the right person is interested, I'll send it via USPS Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope ASAP, with the expectation it will be sent back to me in similar fashion  at some reasonable near-future point.

This space can be YOURS if the price is right!!! (Okay, still working on this . . .  :p)