"Your Personal Invitation to Adventure"
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:42 pm 

First time posting to this forum.

I started playing D&D in 1980 when I was in 6th grade.  That year or the next I picked up two flyers at Campaign Headquarters gaming store in Rochester, NY, and have kept them ever since.  Going through my papers from those days I came across them both:

"Your Personal Invitation to Adventure"
This is the 4 page, single sheet folded-in-half that is listed as a Rare on The Acaeum.  It has Fiend Folio included on the back page, so it must be the 2nd edition.

I see a copy of this going for $85 on Noble Knight Games.  What do you all think what it is worth?  Here is a pdf of just the first page:
Attachment:
$matches[2]

I also found "Understanding Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Adventure Game" but it looks different from the Rare described on The Acaeum.  It is 2 separate 8 1/2" x 11" pages stapled together, printed front and back for a total of four pages.  The dealer wrote "FREE" on the top of the first page.  Here is a pdf of the first and 4th pages:

Attachment:
Understanding D&D Fantasy Adventure Game.pdf

Any insights as to their value would be appreciated.  Thank you.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:48 am 

Hello and welcome to these boards!

The invitation is pretty common and it is in the range of 20 usd... Hamilcar used to have a large stock and overflooded the market.

The leaflet understanding is definitely more uncommon... I found mine in a uk basic set... I d be curious as well to hear comments from other members. Iirc the evaluation at the aceaum is above 100 bucks...

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:44 am 

Welcome Blink skeleton!

I won't be much help on your question but do have this little bit of advice, Noble Knight is one of the most well known sellers on eBay for RPG. Plenty of people think their pricing is unrealistic, but they sell plenty of items every day - of course, that is because of them being who they are. Could you or me put the same thing up that they have and sell it for the same price theirs is listed for? Sure, anything is possible but probably not very likely.
So when you ask worth, it could be very subjective. If it is something only they had for sale at a certain time - you could say Replacement Value would be that price since the only one available at that time is theirs. But if next week someone else puts one up for $5 BIN...

So what's it worth? It would depend on what someone was willing to pay for it if you are selling. If you aren't but it go lost or destroyed, worth would be what it cost to replace.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:42 pm 

Thanks to both of you for your replies.  I am with you on valuation being subject to the vagaries of the market.  And I have no problem with a storefront like Noble Knight pricing at the higher end of the price range.  After all, this sets the ceiling for everyone else and they do have a bricks and mortar business to look after...  If selling used items on eBay in a higher price range helps keep the lights on at a gaming store then I am all for that.

If you consider TSR items to be like art or rare books, then the 30% that a store like that might pay a seller is actually quite fair.  

As I mentioned, I am new to these forums and have just now noticed the "Rares Formerly selling on eBay" search function.  One of these days I will post these items on eBay, at a fair price.  Just need to find the time to do this...