http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEDW:IT

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:28 am 

Definitely a nice copy; this should make both buyer and seller very happy.

However, the unpunched status will never survive the shipping process. A close look at the photo shows many rows of counters ready to pop out of their sheets at any moment.

Still, a nice find. Good luck to any who might be bidding; those of us with no money will have to sit this one out ... :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:45 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Good luck to any who might be bidding ...

Right, the auction's already over. Duh. Time for Xaxie to go get some sleep ...  :oops:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:37 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Definitely a nice copy; this should make both buyer and seller very happy.
Still, a nice find. Good luck to any who might be bidding; those of us with no money will have to sit this one out ... :)

Erm... as noted in the "Interesting Items" thread;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5954995185
(plus the Lizard Gamma and other goodies...).

(*thanks John again for letting us know the seller was now accepting non-U.S. bids, 30 minutes before auction end, and not finding out until 30 minutes after*)
*g*

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:26 am 

harami2000 wrote:(*thanks John again for letting us know the seller was now accepting non-U.S. bids, 30 minutes before auction end, and not finding out until 30 minutes after*)
*g*

Would have posted earlier. Although no earlier than Saturday afternoon. But assumed that he emailed all interested parties until I saw your message.

If it's any consolation, I didn't get my snipe in either (temporarily sidetracked at the crucial moment due to DIY and a slighty incorrect timepiece :evil: ) which would have approximately put upto another $65 on the ending price.

So, nice win Sotterraneo (who must have taken a gamble on the seller finally accepting overseas bids, or got an email much earlier, or has a USA address for such wins)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:47 am 

johnhuck wrote:So, nice win Sotterraneo (who must have taken a gamble on the seller finally accepting overseas bids, or got an email much earlier, or has a USA address for such wins)

Heh. I was probably too early. Or else, asked too many questions. ;)

The auction description said that bids from  foreign countries wouldn't be accepted, full-stop (regardless of a U.S. shipping addy).

Hey, ho!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:56 am 

johnhuck wrote: So, nice win Sotterraneo (who must have taken a gamble on the seller finally accepting overseas bids, or got an email much earlier, or has a USA address for such wins)

I got permission to bid from the seller. Perhaps it was impressed by my feedback rating  8O  :D  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:39 am 

Hi Guys;

Regarding the Divine Right auction, this is actually quite a comedown from the glory days of Divine Right games.  In the late-90's, Gary Gygax auctioned of most of the RPG/gaming stuff on the Greytalk list.  Myself and Frank Mentzer bought the majority of the items, including Gary's stash of almost 20 SW copies of the original Divine Right game.  Frank won the auction for I believe somwhere around $1000.  Because I had bid so high also, Frank kindly allowed me to buy 5 copies from him directly after the auction for $100 each.  I in turn auctioned three of those copies on Ebay for $350-$400 each, without even mentioning the Gygax connection in the auction listings. At the time the game was selling for around $250-$300 or more used on Ebay. I few years later I came across the final two stored copies and auctioned one on Ebay and got around $250 or so, this time mentioning the Gygax connection in the listings (not that it could be authenticated obviously, and I don't know if it had any effect on the final price).  I kept the last copy because I don't think I could get much more than my initial $100 investment, plus it's a fun little conversation piece to say it once belonged to Gary.  I have a copy of the new version anyway, it's beautiful, so I can see how the price on these original editions has gone down for those who just wanted the game for use and not collecting.  Anyway, like I mentioned quite a comedown from the glory days.

Another interesting point, I had a copy of this when it first came out, and almost immediately it was oop and very hard to find. I played it with my brothers all the time, and they were always coveting their own personall copy. In 1989 my youngest brother had been desperately looking for a copy for years and on a whim called up the Mail Order Hobby Shop and asked if they had a copy. At the time until the mid-90s the Mail Order Hobby Shop was the official distributor of TSR stuff and not many people knew if you called them directly they would sell you long out of print items off their storage shelves for cover price.  I was buying City of Greyhawk box sets from them for cover right before they went out of business. Anyway, they said they had one copy of Divine Right left on the shelf, it was his for cover price if he wanted it.  So he has the distinction of buying the last retail copy of Divine Right original edition I believe!!!

Mike B

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:46 pm 

LOL.  Good info there Mike, thanks for sharing :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/