TSR Pinback button
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:32 pm 

Any ideas on what one of these might be worth?  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:37 pm 

There have been multiple sold auctions on eBay recently for this item, you can check on there. This one ended yesterday -

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Good luck!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:41 pm 

There have been multiple sold auctions on eBay recently for this item, you can check on there.

Thanks and yes, naturally, I have checked ebay.   The 2 auctions that show up (as sold) were listed by the same seller and claim the buttons were owned by an "early TSR employee."  Although unnamed, I was thinking that the mere mention of a TSR provenance might have inflated how these are valued.  Plus ebay is nuts with prices.  I thought buttons like these have likely migrated into a number of collections owned by folks here and that somebody might have a better sense of what this button is worth (although I am not looking to sell).  I'm all for the free market, but I like to have a realistic sense of value for the things I have added to my own collection.  I paid $35 for this one - assuming ebay is a bit high....maybe $50 is a good ballpark $$.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:03 am 

You're welcome

I think the first one I'd noticed selling went for $70+ about half a year ago. I'm not certain of that memory but I do remember bidding $35 and some change on it and it going for around double what I bid. I don't remember if it had any affiliation to an employee. Without documentation, it's hard to put much faith in any of those kinds of things anyway - though enough do like a good story to go along with their purchases.

A lot of times when I buy something, I figure what I paid is what it's worth and add some money to that if I see it sell for more somewhere else. Kind of works for me, pretty similar to how you're looking at it.