Value of Empyrea - Limited Edition Campaign Setting?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:28 pm 

I have a copy of Frank's limited, 50-copy edition of Empyrea Campaign Setting: an Introductory Summary and Appraisal and I'm considering selling it, since the timing seems good given Frank's imminent Kickstarter.  Frank described the original release of these on Dragonsfoot just before their release at GenCon 2008 at Dragonsfoot • View topic - Q&A With Frank Mentzer. Part 1 :

ExTSR on Dragonsfoot wrote:
Phaedran on Dragonsfoot wrote:where does the line form at Gen Con to get this limited release? I'll be there Wednesday.

I'll be at the auction a good bit of the time, also DMing some slots of Tower of Gygax, running 8 hours of adventures for associates from The Acaeum, appearing briefly at Tracy's Killer Breakfast, and browsing the dealer room (checking in with dozens of old friends in the process) sometime during all that.

With luck I'll actually get to play a D&D game on Sunday afternoon. :!: That's a rarity...

Best bet: catch me at the auction when I'm lollygagging.

The limited GenCon release is an Empyrea Campaign preview plus a short 1e adventure called Appraisal (38 pages total, numbered & signed). Limited to 50 copies; includes 2 color copies of my original '70s maps (very crude). $25, cash only. As this is private business, and I don't have a dealer permit or booth, we must handle things outside. Half the first run is already spoken for. I might run another 50 as a post-con release, again signed and numbered, possibly for $20. (I'm not 'back in the biz' as yet, so I'm not hawking these. The serious promotions -- and more affordable products -- all come later.)

F

I'm writing to get a sense from you guys about the value of this edition, and how much interest would there be in a sale of this edition, and whether folks would have any preferences on where/how to list it?  I'd normally consider selling it directly via Classifieds here or one of the FB groups, but I think Frank's KS is going to do well, so I'm considering eBay too, since many of the folks who will support the KS probably aren't members here.  

My plan is to wait for the KS to launch before I put it up for sale, so there's some time for me to sort through these options.

Your thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks!

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:48 pm 

grodog wrote in Value of Empyrea - Limited Edition Campaign Setting?:I have a copy of Frank's limited, 50-copy edition of Empyrea Campaign Setting: an Introductory Summary and Appraisal and I'm considering selling it, since the timing seems good given Frank's imminent Kickstarter.  Frank described the original release of these on Dragonsfoot just before their release at GenCon 2008 at Dragonsfoot • View topic - Q&A With Frank Mentzer. Part 1 :

ExTSR on Dragonsfoot wrote:
I'll be at the auction a good bit of the time, also DMing some slots of Tower of Gygax, running 8 hours of adventures for associates from The Acaeum, appearing briefly at Tracy's Killer Breakfast, and browsing the dealer room (checking in with dozens of old friends in the process) sometime during all that.

With luck I'll actually get to play a D&D game on Sunday afternoon. :!: That's a rarity...

Best bet: catch me at the auction when I'm lollygagging.

The limited GenCon release is an Empyrea Campaign preview plus a short 1e adventure called Appraisal (38 pages total, numbered & signed). Limited to 50 copies; includes 2 color copies of my original '70s maps (very crude). $25, cash only. As this is private business, and I don't have a dealer permit or booth, we must handle things outside. Half the first run is already spoken for. I might run another 50 as a post-con release, again signed and numbered, possibly for $20. (I'm not 'back in the biz' as yet, so I'm not hawking these. The serious promotions -- and more affordable products -- all come later.)

F

I'm writing to get a sense from you guys about the value of this edition, and how much interest would there be in a sale of this edition, and whether folks would have any preferences on where/how to list it?  I'd normally consider selling it directly via Classifieds here or one of the FB groups, but I think Frank's KS is going to do well, so I'm considering eBay too, since many of the folks who will support the KS probably aren't members here.  

My plan is to wait for the KS to launch before I put it up for sale, so there's some time for me to sort through these options.

Your thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks!

Allan.

I think with the boost from the KS, the sky is the limit.  I'd agree with eBay for this one (get the widest audience possible).  IMHO, I think you'll make your initial investment back!  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:57 am 

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq21 ... mpyrea.jpg

Here is a pic of my copy.  Just for the record I will tell you Green Team won by 1 point.  However, red team was an underdog due to Malc being on the team (-3 points).  So really we won.   :wink:

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 am 

Trying this again.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:53 am 

fwiw I never printed any more, nor will I. The use of the OGL is a bit flaky (early effort), and there are other issues.
Amateur version, alas; never formally published or distributed. Better versions coming. ;>