Would like your evaluations on my JG Collection
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:41 pm 

I'm considering putting this entire collection up for auction.

Dark Tower (3rd P/VF to NM)
Thieves of Badabaskor (1st P/Ditto)
Thieves of Badabaskor (2nd P/Ditto)
Thieves of Badabaskor (4th P/Ditto)
Glory Hole Dwarven Mine (VF to NM)
Witches Court Marshes (Ditto)
Shield Maidens of Sea Rune (Ditto)
Caverns of Thracia (3rd P/G+)

and would be willing to throw in a F to G copy of Under the Storm Giants Castle and Verbosh if the buyer pays the shipping.

What are your opinions?

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:29 pm 

Pretty much everyone on this site has more experience then me to give you values, but for current reference I will let you know that I bought a copy of the Shield Maidens booklet, in SHRINK, just the other day for $10.  And I was the only bid and that was the min bid, so pretty sure it wouldn't have sold otherwise.    Hope that helps!

Spin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:51 am 

Dark Tower, Thracia and Thieves are on the higher side in that order, the others tend to go on the lower side. Putting a price tag on anything JG is difficult, though. $20 and up each for the first three, and $15 and under for the others. Under The Storm Giant's Castle is possibly the worst dungeon ever written; if you sell it for content list it on eBay under Paper Products - Toilet Paper. Pricewise, $5 is fair, $10 would be robbery.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:32 pm 

Deadlord wrote in Would like your evaluations on my JG Collection:Under The Storm Giant's Castle is possibly the worst dungeon ever written; if you sell it for content list it on eBay under Paper Products - Toilet Paper.

:lol:

Does it seem like there has been a lot of JG stuff coming up lately on eBay to anyone else? Especially Wilderlands and Dark Tower. I think four Dark Towers have sold in the last two weeks alone.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:13 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Would like your evaluations on my JG Collection:
Deadlord wrote in Would like your evaluations on my JG Collection:Under The Storm Giant's Castle is possibly the worst dungeon ever written; if you sell it for content list it on eBay under Paper Products - Toilet Paper.

Does it seem like there has been a lot of JG stuff coming up lately on eBay to anyone else? Especially Wilderlands and Dark Tower. I think four Dark Towers have sold in the last two weeks alone.

I would not be surprised if the reprint has something to do with it.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:30 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Would like your evaluations on my JG Collection:

There are multiple printings of Dark Tower (at least three or four if I recall...)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote in Would like your evaluations on my JG Collection:
There are multiple printings of Dark Tower (at least three or four if I recall...)

Yes there are four not counting the two updated versions of it - and hopefully I wasn't taken as trying to scare off selling or diminish the value of the OP's collection by saying there are a glut of them for sale out there. Just that I've been looking for JG products in general a short while (a little over a year) and it seemed that in the last two weeks, a lot more early JG products have come up on eBay than any same period of time before. Added a few to the ol collection myself - I hope to share something I think is a little (just a little though) bit special with you all when it comes in a few days.

I guess since I've commented on this post twice, I owe it to the OP to try to answer his question. Honestly, when you say that you are going to put them up for Auction, I assume eBay, and prices realized can be all over the place. It's hard to say what you'll get for them.
What I can say to get more money for your stuff is to do your Auction in a way that shows exactly what the bidder needs to see to make an assessment of condition. ie Don't just say they are in great shape or Near Mint - use your pictures to show beyond a doubt that they really are. A mistake I see many times on eBay is to just have a few pictures of a stack of books and say they are in great shape. That's not enough - your potential bidder doesn't know you personally. Another thing to consider is not doing them auction style but using "Buy it Now". You might have to wait longer for them to sell, especially if you can hit that "sweet spot" that maximizes the amount your asking for them. You'd probably also want to break up the collection a little; Dark Tower, your various printings of Thieves, and Thracia in separate listings.

Here's a few things I would like to see done in every listing that I consider bidding on

High Quality pictures of the Front and Back Covers and a picture of the spine also showing condition of it and how flat the book lays. Do this for each individual book.

An assessment of staple condition (how rusted are they)

Is there any writing or highlighting? If there is, say how much. If there is isn't, make certain you put into the title and description that there isn't.

If the book is a 1st print, put it in your title that it is. If it's not, instead of saying that it isn't and giving the printing info, just shoot a picture of the Booty list or whatever is the determining factor to tell what printing it is. Obviously with Thieves, we can tell from the cover picture and won't require anything more. You don't want to be deceptive but you also don't want turn away a potential buyer that really doesn't know anything about the printings for these. You want to sell to the Collector that is willing to pay the most for your items, whether they are educated about them or not.

Try to say something in a short amount of space that these books will be packed with care. If you want more money for your stuff than other sellers out there, you need to give the impression that you are a better seller than your competitors. ie You're not just going to dump their books into a box or a padded mailer and not care that they are getting trashed by the Post Office on the way to the buyer.
Say something like "Of course these books will be bagged and boarded for safety and I use lots of Card Board to prevent damage to your investment. I will do my best to make certain these arrive to you in the same condition that they left me"

As a buyer, I like deals as much as everyone else. As a Collector though, I want to see you beat the crap out of the Price Guide on here with your sales of these. Good sellers beat estimations all of the time, you just need to show that you are a good seller to do it.

Hope this helps and good luck selling.